Overgrown hair algae help

Cue

So my 15 gallon is mildly overrun with hair algae. Honestly, I don’t mind it at all, except that it keeps me from doing proper maintenance on the plants because it gums up my scissors.
We tried to lower the the light (8-5), it’s been like that for about a month or two, maybe three with no change. I don’t overfeed, just give them as much as they can eat in about a minute/30 seconds.

How can lower the amount in the tank? I don’t want to get rid of it, just have it at more reasonable levels.

TheFishFella

I had a 10 gallon overrun with hair algae, I’m not sure how you would just lower it but this is what I did to get rid of mine. I lowered the intensity of the light as well as the length of light (8 hrs a day). I did a massive 50% water change and took out decorations that I could and rinsed them with extremely hot water (as well as scrubbed the algae off). The scrubbing got most of the algae off while the heat actually killed the rest for me. For the gravel I siphoned it and rotated the non algae covered gravel (that would be under decorations) with the algae gravel. As for the plants, I was too scared to dip them in any sort of solution, so I tossed them and got new ones. Took me a solid month and I did the deep clean I believe 2 or 3 times, but I haven’t had any hair algae problems since! (The photos with algae is two different times and the photos without are the aftermath of the algae ones)
I had a 10 gallon overrun with hair algae, I’m not sure how you would just lower it but this is what I did to get rid of mine. I lowered the intensity of the light as well as the length of light (8 hrs a day). I did a massive 50% water change and took out decorations that I could and rinsed them with extremely hot water (as well as scrubbed the algae off). The scrubbing got most of the algae off while the heat actually killed the rest for me. For the gravel I siphoned it and rotated the non algae covered gravel (that would be under decorations) with the algae gravel. As for the plants, I was too scared to dip them in any sort of solution, so I tossed them and got new ones. Took me a solid month and I did the deep clean I believe 2 or 3 times, but I haven’t had any hair algae problems since! (The photos with algae is two different times and the photos without are the aftermath of the algae ones)
Also would like to mention that the goldfish isn’t in that tank anymore! He got a massive upgrade

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
SuperSword48
  • 75g Discus Tank
  • Algae
Replies
Views
tjander
  • bubblemog
  • Algae