Overflow/sump

agsansoo

Here's my HOB overflow box and sump.

The overflow box is a weir type, the other type of HOB overflow box is called a U-tube type.The powerhead to the right of the box is used to pull air out of the overflow. Without this, the overflow could will loose it's siphon.

Here's the back of the box.

Then down into the sump.

Peterpiper

oK so any air that gets trapped in the high point gets pulled out by the power head and if no air is present the power head ( air line ) would just be pulling a little water. that smart!
How loud is this set up? does it make a sound like a sink?
Thanks for the post, some times a picture is worth 1000 words

agsansoo

Mine is silent. I'm only using a Rio 1700 return pump .. so about 350gph @ 4 feet. Any thing over 400gph, gurgling !

Scooby_too

Does your return from your sump connect to the Power head. Also is that the air line to remove air from the overflow.

agsansoo

Scooby_too said:
Does your return from your sump connect to the Power head. Also is that the air line to remove air from the overflow.
No the returning water goes straight back into the tank. And yes, the air line removes air from the overflow box. Because the pump is sucking the air and water out through the air line.

jingles230

couldnt you use a powerhead instead of an overflow box, you know just attatch tubing fro the powerhead to the supthen another powerhead for the return

jingles230

how mcuh was the rio 800 powerhead, they pack a punch those things, how mcuh was it?

agsansoo

jingles230 said:
couldnt you use a powerhead instead of an overflow box, you know just attatch tubing fro the powerhead to the supthen another powerhead for the return
The reason everyone uses a overflow, is it matches the flow of the return pump. Without this you will get either a dry sump or a over filled tank (wet floors).

agsansoo

jingles230 said:
how mcuh was the rio 800 powerhead, they pack a punch those things, how mcuh was it?
The Rio 800 RVT is around $22 USD.

Gozer_1

I use an Aqua Lifter pump for mine (same box as Ag). Works very well especially if a power head isn't convenient for your setup. Here's a link to it on Marine Depot.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom