Overflow sucks in fish. Grrr

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a small problem with my overflow. It keeps sucking in my fish. I have a few tiger barbs in my 180 gal that have been added after a week of fishless cycle. My question is what can I put there to prevent fish from being sucked in? I tried a mesh net but that just slows down the flow which makes the water rise. I was thinking of siliconing some eggcrate in the PVC tube/overflow. The over flow is a 1.5 inch PVC elbow. Any opinions? Thanks

Larry

elybach

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
have you tried panyhose and elastic or is that a dumb idea?

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I lost 6 Rummy Nose Tetras to my overflow before I switched back to a canister. I had net wrapped around it but it did collect every leaf from the plants and slow down the flow. A couple things I had considered were putting rubber bands around the overfow box or wrapping something like kite string around it. I was thinking the rubber bands would be close together enough that a small fish would not fit but still allow plant trimmings to flow in. I never actually tried that though so just an idea.

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not a bad idea but I tried the mesh thing. I think I might get some eggcrate and cut bigger holes in it. The rubber band thing may not be possible because the overflow is a PVC elbow and it is awkwardly shaped for that

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh okay, mine was a HOB overflow with the black box on the inside and the little slits for the water to flow through so I was thinking of something different. Hope you figure something out.

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was thinking if building an overflow box around the elbow intake. You think that would prevent smaller fish from being sucked in?

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Seems like they would go through the overflow box and then into the pvc. Idon't know what the solution is.

BuckeTs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
buy bigger fish jk

FishHobbiest

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years

BuckeTs