Overflow Help!? :/

1. danelch

danelch Valued Member Member

Hey everyone hopeeveryone and their tanks are doing great.
    Anyway so I made this overflow for the sump for my 90 gallon.
    The idea is based on the link below

I worked so hard and it seemed to work so well! I used 2" outside and 1.5" inside. However I raised the whole thing up to see if it would re-syphon, but it did not :(

Although the water was at the whole surface of the inlet and not.even a cm below it ,it would just not work again. I submerged the whole thing in water again and it seemed to work again but after a little while it lost the Syphon again :/ even this time the water had not gone below the surface of the inlet. What could be wrong? :/

I think there could possibly be 3 things wrong :
    1) the inlet and the outlet level kind of overlap almost 0.5 inches
    2) instead of the 90° for the inner 1.5" 'syphon' tubes, I used these long 90° pipe like things which are almost 3" on either side of the curve
    3) the 1.5" inner Syphon tubes do not exactly reach the lower end of the 2" pipe on either side of the overflow 'box'

Could it be any of these ??

Sorry for making it so long. But I'm really desperate for help. Please help. Thanks!

2. NavyChief20

NavyChief20 Well Known Member Member

Let me watch the video and I'll get back to you. Overflows are easy but you can make a small mistake and it's a siphon

3. NavyChief20

Ok so I personally cant stand that design, but here is what the problems could be. Your u shape pickup tube must go down both standpipe as far as possible. Failure to do so can break the displacement. The outlet elbow must be below the inlet of the overflow. Otherwise it wont maintain prime. The joints must be tight if not cemented.

I prefer durso style since they are quiet and operate very well. I have several diffrent styles but they all are durso.

The one in the video would work as a water changer but I wouldnt use it long term. I've seen that one fail.

4. OP
    OP
    danelch

danelch Valued Member Member

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!
    And just like I said in the 3 points above, you seem to also think the problem could lie with one of them!
    I would definitely do as you recommended. Hopefully that'll help make things right !
    I'll keep your suggestion in mind regarding the long term deal. Thanks again man. Hope I don't have any bad news after I'm done modifying the thing! Cheers :)

5. NavyChief20

Any time dan.