Overflow boxes + Sump plan sound good? Question

1. Squirtle =) Member Member

Hey All

so after setting up and watching my first multi sump system I have had a change of heart sumps>canisters to sum it up! I love the wattage cost compared to canisters and the heating costs also not to mention the amount of extra bio + mech you have to play with, water changes are easy and with these new UVs the disease part even seems to be some what safe.

anyways I have 4x180G tanks not drilled which I am thinking of setting up on a sump system, issue is I have no clue nor am I keen on drilling glass and every LFS says I have to bring the tanks in lifting 6x2x2 is not a fun job and the way my fish room is no I am not even sure we can get them out. So I was wondering if overflow boxes are as bad as some make them sound? My online shop sells 2 brands and not sure what I need or how good they are was hoping to get some feed back on them.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=5684&catID=109

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=4465&catID=109

Not sure what LPH I need also any help would be great I am so clueless when it comes to sumps.

Also anyone want to give a jab at the smallest sized sump I should be aiming for? all up I believe I will have 720 gallons. I am thinking a 6x2x20 or so would be ideal based on the other systems I have then running 2 pumps which handle 11,000LPH each, I believe the overflow box I need is the first one which means I am looking at 5000LPH x2 = 10,000.

Is my math/idea correct would this work? or am I better off running canisters instead of overflow boxes?

Thanks guys.

2. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Hopefully someone will come along soon with expertise with sumps.

Good luck with your project.

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I have Wet/Dry systems, similar to sumps and I use over flow boxes as I didn't want my tanks drilled.

Make sure the over flow boxes can handle the amount of flow from the pump. For example, if you have a pump rated for 750gph then the over flow box must be able to handle 750gph or higher or you are at risk for an overflow/flood.

I'm using Mag Drive Pumps below:
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet-supplies-search#!&ea_q=mag drive pump

As for which overflow box to choose, select the one that fits the Gallons Per Hour (GPH) of your pump.

You'll have more room for filter media in the sump compared to using canister filters. Much, much more. This is good. :)

You want to make sure that you do not lose the siphon in the U-Tube in the overlfow boxes. If you get an air bubble in the U-Tube, it can cause the siphon to break and then the pump will keep on pumping causing an overflow in the tank itself. Sometimes you have to fiddle with it to get the flow correct. Other than that, I haven't had any issues by using a Wet/Dry. My favorite filter of all times and I've been in the hobby for more than 40 years.

My Wet/Dry filters are store bought. The one on my 265g is a SeaView. Not sure they still make them as it's close to 15 years old.

On my 33g, I have an Eshopps Wet/Dry
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet-supplies-search#!&ea_q=eshopps wet dry

The largest pump that you could use on the Wet/Dry below is 950 GPH as the Maximum flow is 1000 GPH. The pump you choose should not have a higher GPH than the Maximum Flow.
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/eshopps-wd-200cs-wet-dry-filter

I had a 155g Bow Front tank and I used a Wet/Dry with a Mag Drive 950 (gph) and it worked beautifully. Still using this same Wet/dry on my 265g tank along with additional filtration. On this tank I have a total of 2650 GPH. :) In addition to the Wet/dry, I have 3 Aqua Clear 100's and 1 Aqua Clear 50.

Ken

4. Squirtle =) Member Member

Thanks Ken

Totally agree with you on the wet/dry/sumps, Always been a canister guy got my first 2 as it was a deal was almost going to seal the tanks off so happy I got the sump running, I think I love it so much as it cuts down on cost a lot normally 4 tanks = 4 canisters+4 power heads + 4 heaters etc now 2 heaters 1 pump and more media!

I have noticed the second box I listed uses a non u tube method, which is new in my eyes been doing some reading and has very good feedback also has the option to connect an air pump or power to the actual box to remove air bubbles I believe but not 100%.

Over all I am leaning towards 2x 110G sumps or 2x 150G sumps, 320 gallons per a sump aiming for 3-5 turn over p/h.

I also hear good things about the mag drives but very few people sell them down here and those who did I find over price them so much its much better to go with the luganas (spelling may be wrong) which are considered one of the best pumps according to my little knowledge.

at the moment I sit between getting the overflow box without the u tube for the added safety vs drilling the tanks which seems quite easy but there is always a risk, biggest issue I find with drilling the tank is they are not flat= no guide to hold the drill, I use a drill daily at work drilling much harder substances (stainless steel etc) but with the glass it seems you dont drill it as such your more sanding it down. I have a broken 6x2x2 that has no use in being fixed might try to test drill it then I can always add my planned snake into it with a hole for venting win/win?

Looking at your filter ken I do wonder if maybe 150G-110G tank is way too over kill? I just have 2x 4x2x2 sitting outside doing nothing so figured it may be best but they could also be used for fish/snakes etc, Do you find without the added filters your sump would handle the tank fine? or would it be near breaking point if ran alone?

Thanks for your help!

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hi Squirtle,

The overflow box without the U-Tube sounds interesting. Completely new to me. :)

The Mag Drive Pump 950 or 900 not sure which, did a great job on my 155g tank with no added filtration.

Keep in mind though, the more filtration you have, the more filter media you can have giving you more surface area for beneficial bacteria.

I would try to get as close to 8 to 10 x the tank volume for your GPH that you can. The sump may be all that you need depending on how stocked your tanks are, how many tanks you will have connected to the pump, assuming you are wanting a central filtration system for multiple tanks. Never had such a set up myself.

You can always add more filtration if necessary.

Ken

6. Squirtle =) Member Member

Cheers Ken

I agree on the more media but as recently pointed out on many sites you can only use as much media as your fish can feed I.E having a 10 000G sump for a 10G tank is useless (just for example) so not sure if 110G is over board also, the sumps you linked seemed quite small but they are rated high hence my confusion.

yeah its central, I find it amazing on my 4x120Gs, I guess time will tell what happens haha my aunt made a good point when I ran it across her, overflow boxes = 1200$ for the required amount= 3 new tanks which means I can test the broken tank and 1 real tank and still be safe money wise + if it works I save an awful lot drilling>overflow boxes + I believe drilling is easier to work with in the long run.

One thing I do also love about the central filtration is the enhancement in technology fish wise, being able to hook a UV light up which lowers the chance of bug outbreaks by a very % on top of strict QT seems like another win/win to me, it amazes me how far we have came.

I will keep it all updated on the blog section once I start still planning, Still open to suggestions if anyone has any!!!

7. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I prefer drilling, but most overflow boxes nowadays are much better than they used to be. Any that I have seen dont have that usual flushing sound everybody warned me of.

8. cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

Are you planning a salt tank or a fresh tank? Is there a way to have all of your tanks dump into a single sump?

My overflow box and sump are custom built so I can't comment on store bought ones. I've been using a u tube overflox box and it hasn't failed once.

9. Squirtle =) Member Member

Hey CM

They would be fresh for now, I do have plans for a few salt water tanks but much later on.

I dont think a single sump would work as I will have close to 3200G all up a 500G sump would cost to much.

I will most likely go top tank > bottom tank > sump > top tank and have some bio balls in the overflow box

heres the plan, I should of posted it here

[​IMG]

thats the plan, I dont think 1 main sump would even work as theres so much distance between some tanks hoping to get the whole 8ft 7ft and 6ft setups going off 1-3 sumps.

soft = sofa >_<! lol

10. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Woah your fishroom plans looks exactly like mine.. ... ... lol just joking.

I like the plans, especially the sofa :):)

Now you just need the keg next to the sofa and maybe a television on an open wall and you're set ;D

11. Squirtle =) Member Member

hahaha cheers! Got the fridge next room over hehee.

A telly sounds nice but I have no wall space lol!

12. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I've seen monitors hung from the ceiling before, so i gues its possible with a little bit 'o work...

I guess in retrospect you've got enough of that ;D