Overfiltration?

1. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Ok, so I know we always advise overfiltration... but... I may be able to aquire (for free) a Fluval FX5. I'm really just looking for a canister filter for my 50 gallon. The Fluval FX5 is rated for up to a 400 gallon tank with a gph of 925. Could this cause any unforseen problems?

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The only problem I can see would be the strength of the flow, if it can be adjusted so it's not too strong for your fish then go for it, you can never have too much filtration

3. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I think that was my main concern. I'm not even sure if I could adjust it enough. I know my stock won't enjoy a strong current so I'm a little worried about this... I could always hold on to it or sell it, I suppose.

4. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

You can also build a long custom spray bar out of schedule 80 PVC to better disperse the flow. The spray bar can be the length of the tank.

5. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Rivieraneo, a longer spray bar will help. Also, pack a lot of media into the canister. Cram some xtra sponges/filter floss and this should also slow the water flow down a bit.

6. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

I run Eheim 2217's on 29 gallon tanks. I have drilled out the spray bar hole to make them bigger, and added some extra holes to help slow down the the water flow back into the tank. Bigger is always better in my opinion. FX5's do not have spray bars. But you should be able to point the output nozzles toward the top to disperse the water enough to not make a whirlpool in your tank. Or as someone else suggested, make your own spray with PVC pipe.

7. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Nice! Awesome tips!

8. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

So they decided to sell (wiser decision than giving to me). Sad...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. bescher Member Member

The Fluval 06 series the flow rates are adjustable. I have a 306 on a fifty gal
    See my post on the topic Fluval FX 6 versus eheim
    I think you would find it interesting along with the other posts