Overfed or full of eggs??

GoldenMullet

Member
Is my flame gourami full of eggs or just overfed? Sorry about all the pictures, just wanna make sure there are enough angles to look at her from.
 

Mudminnow

Member
Given your fish looks like a male, I doubt it's full of eggs.
 
  • Thread Starter

GoldenMullet

Member
Mudminnow said:
Given your fish looks like a male, I doubt it's full of eggs.
i thought a male would have a more pointy dorsal fin, and compared to my other gourami's, this flame red one's is much more rounded. It was my understanding that females have a more rounded dorsal fin.
 

Mudminnow

Member
GoldenMullet said:
i thought a male would have a more pointy dorsal fin, and compared to my other gourami's, this flame red one's is much more rounded. It was my understanding that females have a more rounded dorsal fin.
The pointy dorsal fin is more of an indicator with some of the other gourami species, like pearl gouramis. This can be a thing with dwarf gouramis, but it's usually more about color and body shape. The easiest thing to see is that the females are usually more silvery. Run a google image search for female dwarf gourami, and you'll see what I'm trying to describe....
 
  • Thread Starter

GoldenMullet

Member
Mudminnow said:
The pointy dorsal fin is more of an indicator with some of the other gourami species, like pearl gouramis. This can be a thing with dwarf gouramis, but it's usually more about color and body shape. The easiest thing to see is that the females are usually more silvery. Run a google image search for female dwarf gourami, and you'll see what I'm trying to describe....
Should I just withhold food for a day or two? Just to be safe?
 

Mudminnow

Member
If he's fat just from a bit of overeating, it won't hurt him if you choose not to feed him for a couple of days.

Do you need to put him on a diet? I don't know. He just looks fat and happy to me.
 
  • Thread Starter

GoldenMullet

Member
Mudminnow said:
If he's fat just from a bit of overeating, it won't hurt him if you choose not to feed him for a couple of days.

Do you need to put him on a diet? I don't know. He just looks fat and happy to me.
I probably should, he's a bit greedy. Only problem is that he's in my community tank. Should i just withhold food from the whole tank or what? I've never really had this problem before
 

Mudminnow

Member
GoldenMullet said:
I probably should, he's a bit greedy. Only problem is that he's in my community tank. Should i just withhold food from the whole tank or what? I've never really had this problem before
Personally, I have no idea when/if a fish is too fat for its own good. And, I've never tried to slim a single fish down in a community tank. So, I'm not sure how you'd give your gourami a diet. I would be concerned that (if you decided to not feed the whole tank) the rest of your fish would be skinny by the time your fat fish looks fit. If it were me, I'd just let him stay fat.

If you're really concerned, it may be best to get him his own little tank where you can control what he eats without affecting your other fish.
 

Luckyscale2003

Member
i love that hes fat its so adorable
 

DoubleDutch

Member
Luckyscale2003 said:
i love that hes fat its so adorable
Adorable but not a good sign. It is an indication for a serious healthproblem.
 

Mudminnow

Member
DoubleDutch said:
Adorable but not a good sign. It is an indication for a serious healthproblem.
Out of curiosity, would this indicate a serious health problem, because he's over weight? Or, is this indicative of some other problem...like maybe an impaction or something? Like I said, I don't know when a fat fish is too fat.
 

DoubleDutch

Member
Abdominal swelling often points towards spleen and kidney necrosis (Dwarf gourami disease) . Sorry
 

Mudminnow

Member
DoubleDutch said:
Abdominal swelling often points towards sleen and kidney necrosis (Dwarf gourami disease) . Sorry
Oh.... Well, that's no good.

I just read an online article about dwarf gourami disease, because I am not that familiar with it. In the article I read (I don't know how accurate this is), it was stated that dwarf gourami disease is usually accompanied by loss of apatite and loss of color. If this is true, might it be that GoldenMullet's gourami doesn't have this disease?
 

DoubleDutch

Member
Golden Mullet Gourami ?
 

coralbandit

Member
DoubleDutch said:
Golden Mullet Gourami ?
The OP .

Eating and being fat would indicate that the DGI is not having its effect at this time but more DG are lost to DGI then almost any other cause IMO .The genetics of the fish are poor if the fish is good and lousy when the fish is sick ..
 
  • Thread Starter

GoldenMullet

Member
DoubleDutch said:
Golden Mullet Gourami ?
My gourami eats plenty, that's why I started this thread. Do you think there is a chance of my gourami being sick?
 

DoubleDutch

Member
coralbandit said:
The OP .

Eating and being fat would indicate that the DGI is not having its effect at this time but more DG are lost to DGI then almost any other cause IMO .The genetics of the fish are poor if the fish is good and lousy when the fish is sick ..
coralbandit said:
The OP .

Eating and being fat would indicate that the DGI is not having its effect at this time but more DG are lost to DGI then almost any other cause IMO .The genetics of the fish are poor if the fish is good and lousy when the fish is sick ..
Hahahaha didn't get that hahaha.
Thought it was a weird kind of commin name for T.lalius hahaha.

I think the swelling isn't normal nor caused by earing to much. Hoping I am wrong.
 
  • Thread Starter

GoldenMullet

Member
DoubleDutch said:
Hahahaha didn't get that hahaha.
Thought it was a weird kind of commin name for T.lalius hahaha.

I think the swelling isn't normal nor caused by earing to much. Hoping I am wrong.
he's back to looking normal now. Don't really know what what happening there
 

DoubleDutch

Member
GoldenMullet said:
he's back to looking normal now. Don't really know what what happening there
Yahooo that's great. And glad I was wrong.
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom