Overcrowding Advice

• Thread starter jennaeileen
  • Start date

jennaeileen

Hello!
So we just got a new tank since we overcrowded our last one unfortunately. Lost a tetra sadly but we just bought a new 20 gallon tank! We just want to make sure we don’t make the same mistake again. We currently have 2 albino cory catfish, 3 red eye tetra, 5 male guppies, and about five shrimp in our 10 gallon.
Our ultimate question is if, with lots of vegetation and hiding spots, can we all together fit 6 cory’s, 6 tetra, and the same 5 gups without overcrowding being an issue?

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Welcome to Fishlore!
Sorry, but I'm a little confused by your post. Are all the fish you listed in the 10 gallon right now?

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
jennaeileen said:
Hello!
So we just got a new tank since we overcrowded our last one unfortunately. Lost a tetra sadly but we just bought a new 20 gallon tank! We just want to make sure we don’t make the same mistake again. We currently have 2 albino cory catfish, 3 red eye tetra, 5 male guppies, and about five shrimp in our 10 gallon.
Our ultimate question is if, with lots of vegetation and hiding spots, can we all together fit 6 cory’s, 6 tetra, and the same 5 gups without overcrowding being an issue?
I would move the red eyes and the corys to the 20g. Then increase the red eyes and the corys to 6. Do you want recommendations for other fish you could stock with?

darrylzuk

From everything I've read about Corys, they do better with a larger "floor" space. I think the 10 might be too small.

jennaeileen

AcornTheBetta said:
I would move the red eyes and the corys to the 20g. Then increase the red eyes and the corys to 6. Do you want recommendations for other fish you could stock with?
We were still planning on adding the 5 guppies in there with the shrimp as well. Could we fit some other species in there along with the Cory’s, Guppies and Tetra’s in there?
The guppies and tetra in the 10g right now get along just fine. But we’d definitely love some more fish in there if it doesn’t overcrowd!

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
jennaeileen said:
We were still planning on adding the 5 guppies in there with the shrimp as well. Could we fit some other species in there along with the Cory’s, Guppies and Tetra’s in there?
The guppies and tetra in the 10g right now get along just fine. But we’d definitely love some more fish in there if it doesn’t overcrowd!
If you bump the corys and the tetras up, you could also add a gourami of some sort.

jennaeileen

AcornTheBetta said:
If you bump the corys and the tetras up, you could also add a gourami of some sort.
Those are pretty. Lol! How many would you say to add?

jennaeileen

jennaeileen said:
Those are pretty. Lol! How many would you say to add?
Oops just realized you said “a” so assuming just one?

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
jennaeileen said:
Oops just realized you said “a” so assuming just one?
Depends, you could add 2-4 honey gouramis or 1 dwarf gourami (EX: powder blue dwarf gourami). Please know that these fish may eat shrimp, but honey gouramis I would say are less likely to.

fishnovice33

I still don’t understand the question...you’re moving all of your fish into the 20? So you’re asking just about the 20 and not the 10? So you’d have 6 tetras, 6 corys, 5 guppies, and 5 shrimp in a 20 long and you’re asking if you can add more?

I would not add anymore if this is the case. This is right at stock level, actually a really good level. The tetras want room to swim in middle, guppies like the top and corys on the bottom.

I would also go with your plan to get more tetras and corys vs other fish, they should be in a group of 6.

Lebeeze

Well Known
Are the guppys all male? I not you be overstocked with fry in a month lol

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Lebeeze said:
Are the guppys all male? I not you be overstocked with fry in a month lol
Maybe not if there's no cover. Every fish: fReE sNaCk

Top Bottom