Overcrowded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I might go to the Petco this weekend after I call to see if they'll take these fish. What would be the best way to transfer these fish an hour and thirty minutes?
A few buckets would be fine to use for the trip.

Two fancy goldies (not commons or comets) would fully stock the tank, but if you rehome everything, we can help you stock with smaller fish, so you can have more of them

What kind of fish do you like?

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Would 29 gallons be too big for a betta? With a betta what other fish can you get? I know they can be aggressive but I read a few times with the appropriate fish they can coexist with others.

jaymethy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
no, they get to big. it would just be cruel to keep them in there knowing that it is to small
I thought the rule for goldfish was 20gallons for 1 and an additional 10 gallon for each additional fish? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Would 29 gallons be too big for a betta? With a betta what other fish can you get? I know they can be aggressive but I read a few times with the appropriate fish they can coexist with others.
It's not too big for a betta, however, given the aggressiveness of bettas it would really limit your stocking options. So if you had a betta, you'd be able to have it and a couple other fish/inverts in there at best. But if you didn't stock a betta, and picked the appropriate fish/inverts you could easily have 20-25 individuals in the tank. So I'd suggest against the betta.

Last edited by a moderator:

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay no problem I'm willing to hear suggestions on what fish are going to make my tank appear the most lively. Additionally my girlfriend would like to get a 20 gallon and keep 3 fish would it be too much to keep the dwarf suckerfish, a catfish (this one has appeared to stop growing and is 1/3 the size of the other 2) and maybe the black moor or 1 comet? If not it's no problem I believe she will understand.

jaymethy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay no problem I'm willing to hear suggestions on what fish are going to make my tank appear the most lively. Additionally my girlfriend would like to get a 20 gallon and keep 3 fish would it be too much to keep the dwarf suckerfish, a catfish (this one has appeared to stop growing and is 1/3 the size of the other 2) and maybe the black moor or 1 comet? If not it's no problem I believe she will understand.
The sucker, potentially depending on the species. But no to the catfish and the goldfish, they both need bigger tanks.

For stocking your 30 gallon, would you like a few bigger fish or a lot of smaller fish? Both could make for a lively tank. Same question regarding your girlfriends 20?

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm thinking alot of smaller fish would look more appealing and lively in a dorm so that sounds like a good choice. Being unable to hold on to any of the fish my tank currently holds my girlfriend will not be getting a tank.

jaymethy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm thinking alot of smaller fish would look more appealing and lively in a dorm so that sounds like a good choice. Being unable to hold on to any of the fish my tank currently holds my girlfriend will not be getting a tank.
Then I would do:
-6 corydas catfish
-2-3 Honey gouramis
-6-8 tetras or rasboras of some sort (pick some peaceful species)
-6-8 tetras or rasboras of a different sort (again, peaceful species)

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

pugletfan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought the rule for goldfish was 20gallons for 1 and an additional 10 gallon for each additional fish? Correct me if I'm wrong.
I believe that's correct for fancy goldfish (the kind with round bodies and long fins), but not for common or comet goldfish (the slender shaped types). These need very large tanks or a pond.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Never knew a common pleco was a hypostomus plecostomus sounds like somthing from dr seuss. Yes they get huge. Hey this happens to lots of beginners. Great to see your willing to correct it. How long have you had these fish? My suggestion would be get some Cory’s and tetras and see how that goes for a few months than read up on anything else you want to add. Good luck.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know remotely about the nitrogen cycle. I learned about it mostly when finding and reading on this site. And I've had these fish for about a month and recently been suspecting my tank of being overstocked and additional reading only added to that.

With the list of fish provided jaymethy is it possible to add maybe a few shrimp as I find them interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colt47

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rainbow Shark in a 29 gallon? Your defiantly going to need a bigger tank Sharks can get pretty big and theGoldfish as well.

i would Recommend keeping a school of Smaller fish like Cherries or Tetras in a 29

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your tank may be cycled but because of the amount of fish and there size your filter probably can’t keep up with the fish waste. You’ll need to do 50% wc. If the fish have gotten much bigger than when you bought them.

ralph113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah I'm already working on moving them. Plan on posting something on a few websites to try and get these fish better tanks. I wasnt informed on the actual size these fish can take up when matured. I have someone willing to home a few fish to open up more space in my tank.
u can make a diy pond for the goldies. thrres tons in youtube. it wont cost u as much unless ur gna make an actual pond

jaymethy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know remotely about the nitrogen cycle. I learned about it mostly when finding and reading on this site. And I've had these fish for about a month and recently been suspecting my tank of being overstocked and additional reading only added to that.

With the list of fish provided jaymethy is it possible to add maybe a few shrimp as I find them interesting.
Yep, it totally is. None of the fish I listed will eat them, and shrimp have a very low bioload, so you could definitely add 10-15 red cherry shrimp (or another shrimp of similar size).

Also, feel free to ask any questions you have about the nitrogen cycle or tank maintenance!

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I plan on taking the fish to Petco this weekend so they'll hopefully get better well prepared homes. Then I'll restart my tank and let the nitrogen cycle take place and then order fish over my summer break. Excited to restart the tank and do it right this time.

jaymethy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I plan on taking the fish to Petco this weekend so they'll hopefully get better well prepared homes. Then I'll restart my tank and let the nitrogen cycle take place and then order fish over my summer break. Excited to restart the tank and do it right this time.
You're likely cycled. You're best off returning the fish, running a 75% water change and adding one shoal of fish the next day. That way you wont need to spend the time recycling your tank.
I would just watch the ammonia levels to make sure they stay at 0.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A beginner question will the tank remain cycled without fish as I still have to pick and buy my fish?

YesI'mCycled

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Then I would do:
-6 corydas catfish
-2-3 Honey gouramis
-6-8 tetras or rasboras of some sort (pick some peaceful species)
-6-8 tetras or rasboras of a different sort (again, peaceful species)

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
This is a great selection - a variation would be to add in a few otos. Though this might impact on the school sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Advertisement

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 6 75.0%

Top Bottom