Overcrowded? 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by spike98, Apr 19, 2018.

1. spike98

spike98 Valued Member Member

I currently have a 29 gallon with multiple fish:
    3 Synodontis Eupterus Catfish
    1 Silver Dollar
    1 Black Moor
    1HYPOSTOMUS PLECOSTOMUS
    2 Comet Gold fish
    2 Gold Fish
    1 Rainbow Shark
    1 Small sucker fish
    I started this tank with little guidance but things have been going very well with no deaths. I do weekly water changed sometimes earlier depending on conditions. I was wondering if it would be beneficial to relocate some fish to different tanks as I know understand this could be classified as overcrowded. I planned on moving the rainbow shark, one catfish as it's growth stop and is much smaller than the others, and atleast one other but I'm not sure on which as of now. In addition to this do you think it possible to leave my tank at it's current size? As I'm currently a freshman in college and pushing my size restrictions by 9 gallons.

2. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

Hmm I wonder if you shouldn't re-home the goldfish?! They need at least a 55 gallon! @TexasDomer helped me with my stocking I am sure he could help you with your!!!:)

3. OP
    OP
    spike98

I currently don't have the funds or living space for a 55 gallon. If or when my goldfish got too large for my tank I plan to give them to someone with the tank space to support them.

4. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Your tank is extremely overstocked. Many of those fish aren't compatible aggression-wise and temp-wise. Whoever was helping you has no idea what they're doing. I would recommend rehoming everything in there and starting properly from scratch. We can help you every step of the way.

5. OP
    OP
    spike98

What fish could possibly be kept together and which are best removed? I'll havent seen any aggressive behavior besides the rainbow shark. I'll more than likely donate the most fish to be relocated. Any places to donate the fish to or recommend sites to do so? Any pairs I could keep together so I could possibly donate a few to family or friends?

6. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

You've got extreme stocking issues, that tank is nowhere large enough for almost all the fish you have.

7. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231 Well Known Member Member

There is no "if" to it, they will get big. Please re-home them...

8. penguin02

Donating to family and friends will likely result in bad care, unless your family members are deep into the hobby. Most fish stores will take back fish, so try to return them to wherever you got them if possible. Don't worry about restocking the tank yet, you'll need to make sure you're cycled and do some research first.

9. OP
    OP
    spike98

Yeah I'm already working on moving them. Plan on posting something on a few websites to try and get these fish better tanks. I wasnt informed on the actual size these fish can take up when matured. I have someone willing to home a few fish to open up more space in my tank.

10. GrayGray4231

Post them on here, I am sure someone would love to get em'!!

11. penguin02

That's great, but please make sure they're all going to good homes. Some of those fish need 100g+ ponds to live happily, and others require as much as 75 gallons. These aren't fish for the starter aquarist. If you return them to your fish store they're more likely to find better homes, unless the person you are giving them to knows what they're doing.

12. OP
    OP
    spike98

I emailed a local fish store to see if they would be able to take in these fish. I hate let go of them but I know they need better housing then I can provide. The silver dollar and rainbow shark in my tank don't belong to me and I was wondering if anyone knew their requirements and compatability so I can keep these fish till my roommates can get tanks. From a Google search the temperature requirements are similar but I rather have confirmation from someone.

Where on the website would I post to see if anyone would like my fish? How would I ship them?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2018
  13. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Once you have 50 posts you can use the Buy/Sell/Trade/Free forum.

14. OP
    OP
    spike98

Well I'm new here so I guess for right now I have to stick to emailing stores. Thanks for all the help so far.

15. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

Ok, so if you really wanted goldfish you could keep 2 of them alone in the tank, with nothing else. Otherwise rehome all 5.
    The pleco absolutely must go, no way to make that work.
    The silver dollar needs to go, because it is a shoaling species, and a shoal of them needs at least 80 gallons.
    The rainbow shark needs a bigger tank, so you'll need to rehome him.

What type of suckerfish?

16. OP
    OP
    spike98

I believe it's a Otocinclus or dwarf suckerfish. I'm working on finding a store. Does storesike Petco take fish in?

17. GrayGray4231

18. OP
    OP
    spike98

I might go to the Petco this weekend after I call to see if they'll take these fish. What would be the best way to transfer these fish an hour and thirty minutes?

19. puffer boi

puffer boi Well Known Member Member

no, they get to big. it would just be cruel to keep them in there knowing that it is to small

20. GrayGray4231

Just put them in a clean bucket with tank water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice