Overcrowded Tank Dilemma

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Sam Zink, Sep 3, 2018.

1. Sam Zink

Sam ZinkNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hello!
    So, currently I have a overstocked 36 bow front tank and need to do something about that. Every time I wake up a new fish is injured or a injury worsens. I have two ideas to fix the problem; one, I have a spare piece of driftwood that I plan to add to give more territories for the territoral fish in the tank. Secondly, is to move fish around, however, I am not sure what needs to be moved and where it should go so I am going to put my tanks and their occupants below to see who can be moved. Thanks for the help and suggestions!
    The 36 gallon bow front(the problem)
    6 pygmy cordoras
    1 small bristle nose pleco
    1 small bichir( in the tank so he can grow out before I move him to my monster tank)
    18 neon tetras
    5 black neon tetras
    8 mollies
    2 powder blue gouramis
    1 red gourami
    2 rainbow sharks
    3 marble hatchet fish
    5 glofish
    1 golden ram
    I think 8 guppies ( hard to count never sit still)
    My 10 gallon (option one for moving)
    4 Australian rainbows
    1 Otto
    1 red gourami
    My 15 gallon planted(option two for moving)
    1 veil tail Betta
    1 Otto
    2 guppies
    2 Rasbora
    1 ADF
    55 gallon ( my "monster tank" planning to upgrade to a 125 gallon in the near future because fish are out growing it. I'm planning to switch it with my 36 and put the fish in the 36 into the 55)
    1 Oscar
    1 pictus catfish
    1 black convict
    2 common plecos( I know I shouldn't have them but I don't really want to get rid of them)
    1 electric blue acara
    Thank you for all the help!
    Edit: I moved some fish around the guppies I put with the Betta and pork chop Rasboras, I moved one shark to the 55 and moved the glofish danios to a small kit tank I have. I uploaded pictures of the tanks just so you can see the conditions they are in I try to keep the fish and tanks in the best quality I can. Obivously I'm inexperienced at stocking and do need to rethink my plans in the future when it comes to that. But I thank you all for the help and advice you have offered

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  2. max h

max hWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,273
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    You have some serious problems in all the tanks, you may need more then one 125 gallon tank.

The 36 is way overcrowded with 50 plus fish, especially having 2 Rainbow Sharks they need a 55 gallon tank and only one in a 55. Guppies, Mollies, and that Pleco are waste machines. The Hatchet fish should be in a school of 6. In the 10 gallon it's way to small for Australian Rainbowfish, Oto's need to be in a school of 6 or more. In the 55 gallon the Oscar, pitcus catfish, and Pleco's all grow way too big for the tank. Even a 125 would not be enough for those 4 fish grown.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2018
  3. Jellibeen

JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +954
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I think you should rehome some of your fish.

4. SLB1986

SLB1986Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    100% agree with @Jillibeen time to rehome some fish or seriously up the amount of tank space.

5. Igor95

Igor95Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +182
    Experience:
    2 years
    Either re-home them or watch them die off... Your choice...

6. Jellibeen

Ratings:
    +954
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    In your 36 gallon, which fish are you set on keeping? Maybe we can start with your favorites and help you maximize the space you have. Unfortunately, it is very overstocked so you will have to find new homes or new tanks.

7. Igor95

Ratings:
    +182
    Experience:
    2 years
    I currently have friend who's new to the hobby and bought a 40G and stocked it with 2 oscars, a red tail, and now wants to get an arowana. I told him about his issues but he doesn't want to listen. It's a newbie mistake, some learn from their mistakes and some quit the hobby after their fish "mysteriously" die

8. Jellibeen

Ratings:
    +954
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    That is really unfortunate, but seeing as the OP came to this forum asking for help and advice, i am going to do my best to help. I hope other members will be able to help as well.

9. Igor95

Ratings:
    +182
    Experience:
    2 years
    We did help. Re-homing or getting a bigger tank are the only options

10. Jellibeen

Ratings:
    +954
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    @Sam Zink, there are many members here who would like to give some advice on how to best use your tanks. Which are your favorite fish in the 36? we can start there.

11. OP
    OP
    Sam Zink

Sam ZinkNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    2 years
    Well I'd have to say it's the neon tetras and the Cory's are a close second.

12. max h

Ratings:
    +2,273
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Well the good thing is the Cories and Neon's are pretty temperature compatible. One thing you could do is research the requirements of each of the fish you have. That means minimum tank sizes, temp. ranges, temperament, average size of the fish as an adult, and even where in the water column the fish prefer to live. You'll find some of the info here and the rest is available with google searches. I would prioritize the list by the stock you really want to keep, if there's some you don't want to keep rehome them and save some research time. Try to keep the fish grouped with similar temp ranges, and not at the extreme temp ranges but around the middle of the recommended temp ranges. If the fish you keep are a schooling fish keep the numbers at 5-6 or above for social interaction. Because the tanks are so overcrowded you really should be running canister filters on the 36 and 55 gallon tanks on top of several water changes a week.

13. JadeMau

JadeMauValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +63
    My goodness, this is about the time you must admit to yourself you may have a problem. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's affecting the lives of these animals, that's way too many. I'm glad you finally stepped up and realized "Oops maybe too many in there", but it seems like things already had to get hurt for that. I know it isn't easy, but please think of the babies, if you don't have the tank space don't put more in. You need much bigger tanks for both sets, I think, honestly. If you can't afford the larger tanks now, then I suggest doing the responsible thing and rehoming them, it won't be easy, but it will hurt more to find them dead than to know they're living a happy healthy life.

14. OP
    OP
    Sam Zink

Sam ZinkNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    2 years
    I understand I have a serious overstocking problem, but I would prefer to not re-home fish is there any way I could spread the population of the 36 into new set ups?
    And I understand the 55 does not have enough room with the fish it currently has in it I plan to get rid of the plecos and upgrade the tank.

15. OP
    OP
    Sam Zink

Sam ZinkNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    2 years
    Yeah I agree I would definitely perfer to keep my fish though and I have the money at the moment to buy maybe 2 20s to move fish into as well as a space starter kit that I can use.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2018
  16. max h

Ratings:
    +2,273
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Out your 4 tanks you have a total water capacity of about 116 gallons with a total of 86 fish. Some of those fish have a large bioload to begin with. I may have that many fish housed in my 150 gallon and 100 gallon tanks combined and nothing larger then fully grown Australian Rainbowfish. A couple of 20 gallon tanks won't relieve much pressure that is already on the fish, at the minimum you need a couple of 75 gallon tanks and a couple of 125's for the fish you have.

17. Jellibeen

Ratings:
    +954
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I agree with @max h that you should do some research on your own. You have a lot of fish, and some jusg aren’t going to work out unless you can afford more large set ups. The rainbow fish in the 10 gallon grow to four inches, which is far too big for a 10 or a 20. The sharks also get very big and need a large tank.

When you say “near future,” how soon do you anticipate setting up a 125? That won’t solve all the stocking problems but it will help.

18. OP
    OP
    Sam Zink

Sam ZinkNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +4
    Experience:
    2 years
    This month hopefully I have to build a better stand for my fifty five first since I intend to switch it with my 36.

19. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +5,930
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    If you don't rehome then you will need to get a few more tanks

What kind of gourami are the red gouramis?
    What kind of rasboras?
    What kind of glo fish (zebra danios, skirt tetras or tiger barbs)?
    What gender are your mollies?

Here's a suggestion of what you could do though some tanks would still be a little overstocked

75 gallon
    1 bristlenose pleco
    18 neons
    8 Australian rainbows
    8 mollies (what gender?)
    1 blue dwarf gourami
    1 rainbow shark (keep an eye out for aggression, you may need to rehome)
    8 otos

75 gallon
    2 red honey gouramis
    15 black neons
    10 guppies
    10 glo tetras or glo danios
    1 rainbow shark

36 bowfront
    1 gold ram
    8 harlequin rasboras
    8 marbled hatchets

15 gallon
    8 pygmy cories
    1 powder blue gourami

10 gallon
    1 betta

5 gallon
    2 african dwarf frogs

I don't know much about monster fish so I'll leave that to someone else. A single common pleco needs 180 gallons minimum.

20. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,537
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Take a look at this cite and search all the species you have. You will get a general idea of what each fish needs.

I'd start by making a list for each tank, then putting down the temperature and tank size requirements for each fish. Then look at their aggression levels and see who can get along with who in each tank. You will have several fish that just won't fit in any of the tanks, in which case it would be a good idea to look into returning them to a pet/fish store. Better to give them a second chance than live an unhappy life in a too small tank with incompatible tank mates.

At this moment in time, for the 36 I'd go with all the neons (black and normal) all the mollies, the BN and corries. I think all are temperature and temperament compatible and that should be a decent stocking for that size tank, if a bit on the over stocked side.

For the 10gal I'd probably have the ADF or perhaps the guppies. ADF needs company though and guppies will breed so perhaps just keep male guppies so you do not become over run.

15gal doesn't sound too bad. I'd keep the betta, ottos, and rasboras. Find out what species of rasboras you have and get them a proper school, same for the ottos, and it should be doable.

For the 55gal, get that 125 ASAP or pick your favorite fish. A 55gal is the minimum for one oscar and nothing else. Convicts are just not nice community fish and do best in species only tanks. Acara would be fine but they are actually one of the more peaceful American cichlids and would do well in community tanks with other medium sized fish (such as the rainbows). I'd keep the acara, pictus (who again, needs a proper school), rainbows (also needs a school), and maybe a couple of the gourami. Keep in mind that gourami are similar to bettas, in that you should not keep males together. You can keep a single male and then some females, but not all males. Some species will group together but you'd need several of the same species with a good male to female ratio.

IMO what it comes down to is this, if you do not have the right tank size for an adult fish of that species, don't get it. Yes you may plan to get a larger tank in the future, but future plans don't always pan out. Better to get fish you can already care for with what you've got than to have to buy a whole bunch of equipment as your fish grows.