Overboard!!!

1. Jason Well Known Member Member

2 days ago I was walking back from my room after watching 24 and I could only see my female swordtail all alone, I looked everywhere for my male one who is usually pestering her. The I looked behind the tank and on the bench top was the swordtail. I was so pissed off I thought he'd died.

I was getting him out when he jumped, so I quickly grabbed him and put him into the tank. He was still alive! He had a lot of dust on him though but he looked ok. So I put some stress stuff in and thank God he made it and is fine.

True story... ;D

Then I fixed the lid, there was such a tiny gap but he found it.

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

excellent! Glad he's okay! ;)

3. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

That is scary! I don't have a lid on my vase for my Betta. I shall have one by nightfall!! Thanks for the info. :eek:

4. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

LOL, it's unbelievable that fish can actually jump out of the tank! I have never seen any of my fish do this. But I don't think neons could do that, haha. I don't think angels could do that too, could they? But my algae eater is pretty energetic and has a slim body shape suited for fast swimming - I have never seen him jump out either though. There are small holes in my lid too (holes where the filter, heater, and airpump are attached). I know it's not safe for them, but I would like to see them jump! Haha, I am so curious how they do that!

5. Janmitch22 Member Member

Bummer, J-Man, I know that sinking feeling you get in your stomach when you realize a fish is missing. I've had three loaches jump out at different times, two survived. Good thing you found yours soon enough.

6. rob2uk Member Member

I had my twig cat jump out when i was doing a water change.
    He landed on the carpet and I had a REALLY hard job to pick him up without hurting him as his bristles were caught up :(

He's fine now though :D

7. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yes they can give quite a scare!!! Glad he is alright ;)
    Carol

8. Jason Well Known Member Member

Thanks he's gone right back to bothering the female, Iam getting another female as soon as I can find a nice one so the stress is takin off her and he'll have 2 ladies ;)

9. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

In my 15 or so years of having fish I have never seen one jump ship... do you think its a genetic thing?!! Or were they just inspired by Nemo??

10. Craig Well Known Member Member

lol!!! :D :D

11. Craig Well Known Member Member

inspired by Nemo!!!!!! im glad the fishie is safe and sound but its a shocker

:eek: C W

12. Jason Well Known Member Member

yeah I know, I think swordtails are natural jumpers so he could have just got jumped or maybe got freaked by something etc

13. joe Member Member

its crazy how u had such perfect timing to get to the tank and put him back in and still be alive!

14. Jessie_Lynn Member Member

You are so lucky my two swordtail jumped out of my tank and only one survived...for a while because he jumped out again and well.... :-\he is in fish heaven...May they rest in peace. :'(

15. Jason Well Known Member Member

Tough Luck!

16. Craig Well Known Member Member

this is crazy but true i cant believe this my male swordtail jumped ship at sum point this mornin landed on top of my lamp bulb which was on!!! stuck 2 it sumhow!!! and when i walked in2 my room i noticed that he wasnt swimmin about he was honestly bein burnt by the lamp bulb unfortunately by the time i had figured out what could of happened he was long dead that all happened this mornin what a tragedy!! and its freaky the way its happened with this topic bein up!! :'( :'(

C W :'(

17. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Wow Craig. I'm so sorry!

18. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

Aww sorry to hear that Craig! Thats really sad :'(

19. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

How terrible! My sympathies. :'(

20. Craig Well Known Member Member

it was a big shock but i h8 sayin it but i could actually smell burnin :'( :'( :eek: i dont know how long he was there 4 but it must of been a while thank u 4 all ur sympathies

C W