Over stocked? ??

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by reds, Jul 18, 2015.

1. r

reds Valued Member Member

I'm just wondering if I am over stocked? Some Web sites I've visited say I'm over stocked and others say I'm not. It's a hexagonal tall tank 19.5 inches in height and 10 inches in length. I have 5 cherry barbs and 4 Rummynose tetras and a male black molly.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

That sounds way overstocked. Your barbs and tetras still need more to complete their schools (6 minimum for both)...either one of those schools by themselves is too much for your tank. And the molly alone is going to get too big for your tank.

3. OP
    OP
    r

I am not sure how to find out how many gallons my tank comes to. One site I went on said 20 gallon and another site said 18 gallons.

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

How wide is the tank?

5. ClearEyes

ClearEyes Well Known Member Member

Well, one problem is, with the 10 inch length, your footprint is not large enough for active schooling fish, which you have. The height will not really help.

And for the molly, even at a 20L (optimal footprint for that volume), that's not big enough.

6. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

As ClearEyes said, your fish wont work in there. Mollies need horizontal room to swim, at least 2 ft long, 30-36 inches is better and 48 is best. Barbs, Tetras, Danios, Hatchet, Rainbows are all schooling fish and need at least 6, some species require more like 10-15. You could do some neon, cardinal or ember tetras in there and some shrimp/snails.

I am having a hard time calculating the size of the tank because of the measurements you gave. Being a hex, is each of the 6 sides 10 inches long or is it 10 inches long from viewing angel, left to right?

7. OP
    OP
    r

I just remeasured the six sides of the tank and each side is 9.5 inches long. My eyes aren't the best and it's dark in my apartment.

8. OP
    OP
    r

How big do black molly get? There seems to be a lot of room in the tank. I do have another tank that's 20 gallon high. Would it be better to put the molly in that one?

9. Anders247

I would say it's fine for the fish you have besides the molly. I would up the schools of tetras and barbs to 6. Also, a 20 high isn't big enough for a molly. I would go 30 gallon long minimum (36 long by 12 wide)
    Edit: according to a calculator your tank is 21 gallons.

10. OP
    OP
    r

I will see if I can bring the molly back to the lfs. So my hexagonal tank is 21 gallons?

11. Anders247

Yes.

12. OP
    OP
    r

OK thanks.

13. Anders247

No problem!

14. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

As others have said, hexagonal tanks look cool but are not really ideal for fish because they want lateral swimming space such as in rectangular tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. Nympxzie

Nympxzie Valued Member Member

Molly can get up to 5" and need at least 30 gallons.

16. OP
    OP
    r

R there suitable fish for hexagonal tanks?

17. Anders247

I would say that this tank is fine for the fish you have except the molly. 10 inches each side is pretty big.
    But again, up your schools to 6 of each species.
    Could you get a pic of the tank?

18. OP
    OP
    r

This is a pic of the tank.

Attached Files:

19. Anders247

By chance, could you get a measurement from one side to the other? To see how long it is? (not each side, I mean from one end to the other in that pic)

20. OP
    OP
    r

20 inches from the left to the right. I measured from the top of the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice