Over Run By Apple Snails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bib4Tuna

Valued Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend had gotten a 2nd apple snail for my daughter & within Lil time at all they've multiplied to almost 60 snails! I'm over run & don't know what to do. I'd appreciate any suggestions but don't want to kill them so plz keep it humane. Thanks everyone

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was hoping for pictures. We can't buy apple snails here.
Sorry I'm not of any help. I would try to re-home them.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My girlfriend had gotten a 2nd apple snail for my daughter & within Lil time at all they've multiplied to almost 60 snails! I'm over run & don't know what to do. I'd appreciate any suggestions but don't want to kill them so plz keep it humane. Thanks everyone
Where do you live?

Are you sure they are apple and not mystery snails?

Can you post photos?

Bib4Tuna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes I can post pics. I was under the impression that mystery snails were apple snails. Either way I was certain my girlfriend had placed another snail in tank because I had read apple snails/mystery snails are not asexual. She claims there was only one snail but I'm pretty sure she had bought another lil guy & put him in there. I would like to re home if someone will take.

Fishwifery

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would be interested but my tank isn't cycled yet. Maybe in another week or two.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes I can post pics. I was under the impression that mystery snails were apple snails. Either way I was certain my girlfriend had placed another snail in tank because I had read apple snails/mystery snails are not asexual. She claims there was only one snail but I'm pretty sure she had bought another lil guy & put him in there. I would like to re home if someone will take.
Apples get very large and eat plants. As I understand it they are of the same family.

Where do you live? This will help members know if they can take them off your hands.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes, mystery snails are a subspecies of apple snail, but most people say apple snail when referring to the ones that get 5+".
Since mystery snails lay clutches of 100-200 eggs in huge pink sacks above the water that take 2 weeks to hatch, my best guess is that you have some kind of pest snail. They can even hitchkite in on larger snails

Bib4Tuna

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would say the biggest one is 2". They hang out at top of tank alot. I'd say when I noticed first couple offspring within a wk or two there was 50 or more. The offspringso shells are black.

20190125_092019.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bib4Tuna

Valued Member
Reaction score
If u scroll up there's a pic of one of the adults

@Gourmi36 So bigger two are mystery snails & the Lil ones are pest snails that hitched ride in off the mystery snails?

Gourami36

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
@Gourmi36 So bigger two are mystery snails & the Lil ones are pest snails that hitched ride in off the mystery snails?
Do you have any live plants? If not then they probably came with the mystery snails. I wish I got some ramshorn snails with my mystery snail. I only have 1 tiny ramshorn from a plant

Bib4Tuna

Valued Member
Reaction score
I only ask because when we 1st bought the mystery/apple snail the smaller snails in tank were black. I assumed as they got older they changed color. Unless the store had pest snails in tank with mystery snails then that could be the case. I won't know until these lil guys get older if they turn gold or not. Because of this when I seen offspring I assumed they were mystery snails offspring.

I don't have any live plants. I have some real rocks in tank.

Gourami36

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If they were in the tank before you bought the mystery snails I have no idea how they would get there. They change to lighter color when they are older and if the ph is too acidic or there’s not enough calcium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 34 63.0%

Top Bottom