'Over'-filtration...

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Siggi, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Siggi

SiggiWell Known MemberMember

Now - it's my turn to start 'over'-filtrating...
    If any filtration can be excessive - I don't really think so.

At present I have an Eheim 2215 running on a 300L/80G tank. The cannister is filled to the rim with filtermedia, mostly bioballs (bb). I guess the waterflow is suffering a little because of that - but now I got a lot of seeded bb. There is an internal filter in that tank, now, assisting in filtration and aeration, due to high temperature/ick cure.

Ammonia 0
    Nitrites 0
    Nitrates <10

Yesterday I got a secondhand 2217 at the LFS. With the small plastic balls and sponges - and sponges for the 2215 (which I returned because it was so filled up, there wasn't room for the sponges :) ) Got two bags of new bb, too.

So tomorrow I'm going to split the seeded media from the 2215 between the two cannisters, the two bags of new bb, the mechanical plastic-stuff and the sponges.

I'm counting on using the internal in a 40L/15G betta/RCS.

Do you think I'll be 'over'-filtering?

:;snow

2. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I don't think so, with both canisters you're turnong the tank over about 5.4x an hour, right in the recommended range for a canister(5x+). As long as the current isn't an issue for any of your livestock imo your fine, there are easy ways around the current issue as well. :)

3. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

I have 500 gph on my 20 long. I like it! The fish don't care either. As long as they aren't blown around, I don't see any issues with loading up on filtration.

4. JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

I have a Aquaclear 70 and a Jebao 818 on my 30 and my fish don't get pushed around by the flow :). And my 280 has two Aquaclear 110s and a sump with BB and moss balls in it.

5. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

6. OP
    OP
    Siggi

SiggiWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for your inputs!

No, I don't have the impression that the current is an issue. With two filters, I have two spraybars - one I have set vertically down along the back corner. I don't know if that is the reason, but the current seems to be more moderate this way, as opposed to having both spraybars in the surface.
    On the other hand I think this gives a better, more uniform movement of the whole water column.

See my blog for more info on the setup of the cannisters.

7. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

I like to think that the 600gph I have on my 36 gallon is helping to keep the fish safe and healthy.
    It didn't start out this way - my original hob was only 200gph for my 36 gallon so I added an additional hob at 400gph.

My QT tank ( 5 gallons ) has a AC 30 which is pushing 150gph....

8. Matt B

Matt BWell Known MemberMember

You should start one of these threads Junne! ;)

9. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

I think I did once..... lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Forum Runner

10. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I run 10x an hour with canisters.

I do believe that you can over filter though. The faster the water is returned to the filter, the lower the ammonia concentration is in the incoming water, and the smaller your bacteria colony will subsequently be. Circulation is just one aspect of filtration - volume of biomedia is very important too. The reason HOBs need to turn the water over faster than canisters is because they hold significantly less media, which means they house a smaller bacteria colony (limited real estate), which means the amount of ammonia that can be processed is limited.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice