Over filtered???

Corycatfishboi

Reaction score
I’m staring a 55 gallon mbuna tank with 16 Mbunas and I was wondering if my tank is over filtrated. I have a 75 gallon filter, another filter of 30 gallons and a power head. Please let me know?

OP
C

Corycatfishboi

Reaction score
AquEric said:
I would say yes I have 55s and use two twenty gallon rated filters they stay clear
is your tank an mbuna tank because filtration is differ depending on ur fish

OP
C

Corycatfishboi

Reaction score
AquEric said:
No I have four full grown angelfish in all my 55s I also have live plants witch helps I still think your over filtered
oohhh k that makes sense. With mbuna u should overstock them to minimize aggression which requires lots of filtration. I just don’t know if I’m over filtrating?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I run two AC 110's on my 120 gal African Cichlid tank & don't consider it over filtered.
Is there really such a thing as over filtered?
Benifical bacteria residing on filtration media & tank decor will only grow to a size in direct proportion to the nutrients provided.

OP
C

Corycatfishboi

Reaction score
AquEric said:
I still stand by my opinion someone else might think differently just trying to help
Sorry didn’t mean to come out as rude lol

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No you aren't overfiltered. Mbuna get messy so the filtration is good. Besides, they like plenty of flow, unlike angelfish, so extra filtration helps provide that. About the only time I'd say there's too much filtration is if your fish were getting pushed around the tank and battered. Then the flow is too high and needs to be turned down.

Tallen78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Corycatfishboi said:
I’m staring a 55 gallon mbuna tank with 16 Mbunas and I was wondering if my tank is over filtrated. I have a 75 gallon filter, another filter of 30 gallons and a power head. Please let me know?
No such thing the more filtration the more media and cleaning of ur water and most likely less maintenance I have 2 fx6’s on my 160 and a fx4 and a marineland 100 gallon hob on a 55

Tallen78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Pariah said:
Better to have too much than not enough. I always double up on filtration. If water flow is an issue, there are ways to diffuse it.
Right plus if one goes down or u need to set up another tank quick ur all set I’ve been told I’m way over filtered but oh well I sleep great at night

Attachments

New Threads