Over cleaned?

1. Erbarry

Erbarry Valued Member Member

So on Wednesday I did my first monthly filter maintenance and I think I killed some of my BB.

On my 55g I started off by filling a bucket with tank water and then took my canisters middle and top trays with bio media and put them inside the bucket. I then pulled out the bottom tray and cleaned out my coarse and fine pads in the same bucket but replaced my 50 micron pad. I put the bottom tray back in and then dunked the 2 trays with bio media in the bucket and back into the canister. Today I tested the water and ammonia was .25ppm and 0ppm nitrite.

On my 10g I filled a bucket and cleaned out the coarse and fine pads and again replaced the 50micron pad. I left the bio media in place on this one. My test results were 0ppm ammonia and .25ppm nitrite.

I did not test for nitrates as I kind of went straight to doing the water changes and my tap water reads 5-10ppm nitrate anyways.

Did I over clean???
    :(

2. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

It doesn't seem like you did but how long has your tank (s) been cycled? It sounds like it is a new cycle since you said your first? Anyways, the first few months you can see cycle bumps like this. I would recommend just rinsing out (like you did) but not replacing any filter material for the first few months of your cycle. Its probably because you replaced the fine micron pads and your BB is still a growing colony. As your cycle continues you normally should rinse and be just fine replacing one piece of your overall setup though unless you have reason to believe they cannot be re-used, I would rinse and re-use for as long as possible.

3. OP
    OP
    Erbarry

Both of them have been cycled for about a month and yes the pads were completely brown and trying to clean them out in tank water wasn't doing anything to them.

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, mini-cycles are common in newly established tanks. But with 0.25 ammonia or nitrite, I wouldnt really worry about it. The situation should rectify itself within a day or two. I went through a mini-cycle the other day myself. I put too many fish in at once, 10 into my 75g. Unfortunately, one of them didnt make it as a result of my mistake.

5. CindiL

Put a dose of Prime every 48 hours while you have these readings to keep your fish safe.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Im still using the same filter floss cartridge in my 10g since January of this year. I use a small tupperware container with tank water, beat the tar out of it, drain the water and fill again and repeat a few times. Its never white like new, but it gets it plenty clean enough. I kinda poke it rapidly while its soaking and it seems to loosen alot of the gunk.

7. CindiL

You can also use a dechlorinated bucket of water and soak and squeeze your filter material until its pretty clean (never white again, ha ha). Once your cycle has been established for awhile you won't get bumps from cleaning debris off your filter materials.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. OP
    OP
    Erbarry

Thank y'all for the information. I did a water change right after the test and will test later today. I've been using aquasafe but will be getting Prime as I'm starting to see why it's so useful.