Over-aerating My Aquarium? Question

1. n

neto333 New Member Member

Hi, i have an 40 gallons tank i have an aerator with an air stone, 4 amazon sword and a waterfall filter, today when i checked the ph it was 7.8. I use fresh water, never tap water, so i was searching on how to lower my ph and i found that increasing the CO2 is a good way so i have the question if im over over aerating my aquarium.
    Also i have another aquarium with the same water (same source) and the ph is 7.4

2. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

That depends heavily on what else is in the tank, drift wood, various stones and different substrates can buffer the PH up and down.

I would sub out that air stone for a sponge filter though, if you're going to pump air into the tank, might as well get some filtration out of it :)

3. OP
    OP
    n

Thanks im going to get the sponge, i dont have any drift wood and this is the gravel that i use
    AES50504__59206.1421521438.500.659.jpg

4. finnipper59

finnipper59 Well Known Member Member

Plants and even the action of the nitrifying bacteria can alter pH. A difference of .4 between 2 different tanks is not alarming. They may have the same original source water, but they are 2 different ecosystems.

5. toeknee

toeknee Well Known Member Member

What are you trying to lower the ph for? It's more important to have a stable ph opposed to trying to target a certain ph. Fish that prefer lower ph will be much better off at a stable 7.8 opposed to a fluctuating ph which can be very harmful.

6. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

No you are not over aerating your tank.

The only times you need to worry about it is if you adding co2 to your tank or your fish are gasping at the surface.

Às for changing your ph there is no need, a slight difference between 2 tanks is nothing to worry about and keeping your ph stable is much more important.

7. OP
    OP
    n

Thank you all, forgot to say that i have some zebrafish in the tank.