Over Active Axies????

DevilInWings
Ive got this tank size for axie + feeder fish (platy or minos what ever is in there. I get more when I notice theyre low) my two 3-4 month old axie won't eat frozen bloods or beef heart or heart n prawn. Nothin frozen. So live it is. Ive got blue/white led bar. 16cm long. Then plenty of hidey holes... the feeder fish are pretty well fed. Dont nip at the axie. Ive got 4 filters on the tank. Each set up differently. One canister with a chiller attachment and bioballs. One set up with carbon. Last one is just setup with a basic cotton filter (this isn't too much is it?) Axies are happy (I think, theyre growing well) axie are super active and love to play with ping pong balls and the floating plastic plants.

Ive been told its really unusual for axies to do anything else other than lay around on the bottom of the tank.
1522996937423.jpeg

Discus-Tang
Ive got this tank size for axie + feeder fish (platy or minos what ever is in there. I get more when I notice theyre low) my two 6 month old axie won't eat frozen bloods or beef heart or heart n prawn. Nothin frozen. So live it is. Ive got blue/white led bar. 16cm long. Then plenty of hidey holes... the feeder fish are pretty well fed. Dont nip at the axie. Ive got 4 filters on the tank. Each set up differently. One canister with a chiller attachment and bioballs. One set up with carbon. Last one is just setup with a basic cotton filter (this isn't too much is it?) Axies are happy (I think, theyre growing well) axie are super active and love to play with ping pong balls and the floating plastic plants.

Ive been told its really unusual for axies to do anything else other than lay around on the bottom of the tank. View attachment 426566
Axolotls are active at night. If they are young they may be more so butI don't know.

Your feeders would be minnows as platys would quickly perish in the low temp that axies like.

Briggs
Have you tried to feed them live bait worms? If you can find them and they'll eat them, it seems like it'd be a little easier to control than live feeder fish. I see them sold almost every where around here. (Even in a lot of gas stations? Which seems weird to me but whatever sells I guess) I live by a pretty large system of lakes, though, so I don't know how easy they'd be to find in places with a less active fishing community

DevilInWings
Axolotls are active at night. If they are young they may be more so butI don't know.

Your feeders would be minnows as platys would quickly perish in the low temp that axies like.
I buy platy and minnow... there's platy in there now my mother in law breeds them.
1523000327793.jpeg

Have you tried to feed them live bait worms? If you can find them and they'll eat them, it seems like it'd be a little easier to control than live feeder fish. I see them sold almost every where around here. (Even in a lot of gas stations? Which seems weird to me but whatever sells I guess) I live by a pretty large system of lakes, though, so I don't know how easy they'd be to find in places with a less active fishing community
Closest place near me is 20 min drive.

r5n8xaw00
What is an axie? Is it a salamander that breaths underwater?
I have looked it up and found pictures, but no real explanation of what kind of animal it is.

Discus-Tang
What is an axie? Is it a salamander that breaths underwater?
I have looked it up and found pictures, but no real explanation of what kind of animal it is.
Yes it is basically a salamander that evolution forgot about lol. A few actually do morph to salamanders.

r5n8xaw00
Yes it is basically a salamander that evolution forgot about lol. A few actually do morph to salamanders.
Ok thanks.
As far as saying evolution forgot about....I could say the same thing about some of my relatives.....

Kellye8498
You should be feeding them nightcrawlers or axolotl pellets. Live fish can introduce parasites and can also nip their gills off. If you feel like you must have something else in the tank I would recommend ghost shrimp only.

Definitely don’t feed beef heart or anything else they can’t find naturally in their habitat. They aren’t meant to digest those things and it can cause serious problems.

Kellye8498
Laying around is normal behavior but babies will do more moving.

MLBJ
They don't seem to see great. I figure they eat more based on smell, so mine eat the stinkiest, softest pellet I can find. They do like earthworms, but I would cut them up fairly small

Top Bottom