Outside Of The Box Plants

Fish0n
I am experimenting with some out of the box (aquarium) plants to break up the wall and HOB filters a bit. Currently a peace lily and bamboo but I want to finish a painting to hang in this spot eventually as well. Let me know if you have had success with this and have tips!!
Also is this weird do people like this look or no?

Attachments

• IMG_7639.jpg
    IMG_7639.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 71
Dann
I am experimenting with some out of the box (aquarium) plants to break up the wall and HOB filters a bit. Currently a peace lily and bamboo but I want to finish a painting to hang in this spot eventually as well. Let me know if you have had success with this and have tips!!
Also is this weird do people like this look or no?
I have used golden pathos for a few years I'm my 40 gallon betta tank, you can easily buy it at home depot. its a great amphibious plant: you can grow it submerged, dry and semisubmerged. it can also be used as a aqurioum filter itself. id recommend doing some reasearch on it. golden pathos might be the way to go. note; fish that will eat ivy plants shouldnt be housed with it. its semi-toxic, it won't kill those that eat it but will make them sick. so watch stock, and get the right fish if you choose to go fully submerged.

Fish0n
I have used golden pathos for a few years I'm my 40 gallon betta tank, you can easily buy it at home depot. its a great amphibious plant: you can grow it submerged, dry and semisubmerged. it can also be used as a aqurioum filter itself. id recommend doing some reasearch on it. golden pathos might be the way to go. note; fish that will eat ivy plants shouldnt be housed with it. its semi-toxic, it won't kill those that eat it but will make them sick. so watch stock, and get the right fish if you choose to go fully submerged.
That is a pretty plant! It looks like it can get big but I still might have to find some room for it! I just moved the bamboo into a HOB filter because I found mixed reviews on if shrimp were compatible with it and I plan on putting shrimp in this one eventually. Better safe than sorry. However none of my fish seem to interested in nibbling the roots so the peace lily will stay.

Skavatar
Fish0n
I do have fish that may nibble. Do you think it would grow well in a HOB filter?

Kathryn Crook
I have pothos gowing in water in my window but yeah...Id worry about toxins that might affect water. (Specially with shrimp) What about anthurium? Another water loving plant often used to cage poor bettas in vases.
I really couldnt do any of these things since I have mystery snails who would climb right on up those plants (most likely) but I love the idea!
I have seen tanks on youtube I think, that had the bamboo sticking out of them. I thought it looked cool.

Peace lillies can get very big so be aware of that. I have one myself and its a baby compared to some Ive seen which are in big pots on the ground. For now, it looks very cute in your tank.

Discus-Tang
I'm growing catnip by the roots from my aquarium. It's actually growing really well. A few weeks ago:

WIN_20180903_21_01_12_Pro.jpg
Today:

WIN_20180930_14_46_06_Pro.jpg

Also growing pothos in the same tank. Dt's 7 Gallon!

Fish0n
I have pothos gowing in water in my window but yeah...Id worry about toxins that might affect water. (Specially with shrimp) What about anthurium? Another water loving plant often used to cage poor bettas in vases.
I really couldnt do any of these things since I have mystery snails who would climb right on up those plants (most likely) but I love the idea!
I have seen tanks on youtube I think, that had the bamboo sticking out of them. I thought it looked cool.
The red flower on the anthurium is absolutely gorgeous! I'm going to need to make some tough decisions or get more tanks just to try out all of these...

I'm growing catnip by the roots from my aquarium. It's actually growing really well. A few weeks ago:

I hope you don't have cats or you are seriously asking for trouble.

Kathryn Crook

AE6709B4-A1F1-4582-8685-CEF6BB4A0F58.jpeg
754E67BB-06AC-468D-95FE-F5C5E7C15F7B.jpeg
The red flower on the anthurium is absolutely gorgeous! I'm going to need to make some tough decisions or get more tanks just to try out all of these...
Anthuriums do need a sunny window to flower tho.

Heres mine with a couple hours direct morning sun.

This is my peace lilly.

As you can see...both are quite large...but I can't deny they would probably be lovely in a fish tank...hehe.

mwsenoj
I'm growing catnip by the roots from my aquarium. It's actually growing really well.

Awesome! My cat might appreciate this!

Jocelyn Adelman
Brazilian Pennywort makes a nice trailing plant for “up and out”, pothos is very commonly used

Biggest issue you will face with plants in an hob is the roots will grow into the sponge... when you have to clean it, will need to rip out a bunch of roots...

Fish0n
View attachment 485107 View attachment 485106
Anthuriums do need a sunny window to flower tho.

Heres mine with a couple hours direct morning sun.

This is my peace lilly.

As you can see...both are quite large...but I can't deny they would probably be lovely in a fish tank...hehe.
Oh those are lovely! I hope my peace lily gets even half that big!

Discus-Tang
I do have a cat

Dann
I do have fish that may nibble. Do you think it would grow well in a HOB filter?
patos will grow in the HOB

Dann
this is my 20 gallon hex tall giving you an isea of how I used my golden pathos, in this tank their is, 1 male betta, 3 albino corrys, 6 neon tetras and live blood worms living in the root systems

Attachments

• IMG_20170807_164933.jpg
    IMG_20170807_164933.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20170807_165439.jpg
    IMG_20170807_165439.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20170807_170853.jpg
    IMG_20170807_170853.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 50
Kathryn Crook
Oh those are lovely! I hope my peace lily gets even half that big!
It will...they love love love water! Mine drinks like a ..umm....fish! Haha! Idk how much light they need to bloom tho. Mine sits in the front window which gets hardly any direct light but seems to really like it there.

Kathryn Crook
this is my 20 gallon hex tall giving you an isea of how I used my golden pathos, in this tank their is, 1 male betta, 3 albino corrys, 6 neon tetras and live blood worms living in the root systems
Oh wow! They survive underwater? How lovely! Would they be toxic to shrimp?

Is it just golden pothos you can use that way? I don't think mine are golden.

Heres a cutting of my pothos and umbrella plant rooting in water before transfer.
It has white and green leaves...not yellow stripes. Different kind I assume?

FB4A279D-627B-4D32-A8CE-BA283B442F5D.jpeg

Skavatar
These are just a few of the most popular:
  • , aureum: The most common type of pothos plant you will find in stores, with slightly variegated green leaves that take a golden hue.
  • : Like the golden pothos but with solid green leaves.
  • : Also like the golden pothos but with solid neon green leaves.
  • : Like the golden pothos but with white variegation instead of gold, causing it to grow slower.
  • : Dark, satiny green leaves with silver variegation. Also known as Satin Pothos, Silk Pothos, and Silver Philodendron.
  • : Has smaller leaves than standard pothos plants that are split between white and solid green, another slower growing variety.
https://hearthandvine.com/pothos-plant-care-varieties-propagation/

Kathryn Crook
These are just a few of the most popular:
  • , aureum: The most common type of pothos plant you will find in stores, with slightly variegated green leaves that take a golden hue.
  • : Like the golden pothos but with solid green leaves.
  • : Also like the golden pothos but with solid neon green leaves.
  • : Like the golden pothos but with white variegation instead of gold, causing it to grow slower.
  • : Dark, satiny green leaves with silver variegation. Also known as Satin Pothos, Silk Pothos, and Silver Philodendron.
  • : Has smaller leaves than standard pothos plants that are split between white and solid green, another slower growing variety.
https://hearthandvine.com/pothos-plant-care-varieties-propagation/
Ahaha! Thanks skavatar. I think mine is a Marble Queen then. Great info!

EbiAqua
Plants I've had success with:
Pothos
Philodendrons
Lucky Bamboo
Aluminum Plant
Mint
Ficus Pumila
Sweet Basil
Dollarweed/Pennywort
Red Potato (yes, grew a potato in a HOB filter lol)

Fishcat
Probably more trouble from any of the other plants, honestly. Many houseplants are toxic to cats, so if you’re growing plants out the top the tank should be somewhere that’s inaccessible to cats. They’re not too clever about avoiding plants that are bad for them - we even saw a cat who ate sansevieria, and that’s got to be one of the least appetizing plants out there.

rainbowsprinkles

Image1538346873.228091.jpg can’t really beat pothos. I’ve done basil mint peace lilly, philodendron, creeping Jenny, spider..but always go back to pothos.. peacelilly is the second easiest

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
junebug
Replies
Views
MissRuthless
Replies
Views
waterlilykari
Replies
Views