outlet timer! Question

1. Dang Well Known Member Member

hi everyone i've been searching online for a specific outlet timer for my needs. I have 2 lights, 1 that is stock of the tank, 1 that is bright and good for plants. I also have the filter and air pump. The stock light is on for 10-12 hours a day while the bright light is only on for 8 hours a day at the moment. The filter and air pump are constantly running. I have 1 outlet timer that has 2 plugins but of course I can't set them to turn on or off separately so I have the bright light plugged into it and I just plug and unplug in the stock light when I wake up and when I go to bed.

I'm looking for a single unit, or strip that that I can program for the stock light to turn on/off at certain times while I have the bright light turned on/off on its own times and have 2+ outlets that are not on a timer (running constantly).

Do any of you have a timer that you really like and it is able to have set time for 2 different outlets?

To further clarify MOST outlet timers I see have 2-4 plug in's BUT they are set to 1 timer, I need 2 separate program times.
    So instead of only being able to set 1 time I need to set the stock light to come on first thing in morning and turn off at night, while the bright light can be turned on at say noon and off at say 8.

2. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

3. Dang Well Known Member Member

thanks!

with the first one I never understood how they work since you wind it do u have to set it each day or it has to be set once and that's it?

I really like the second one. I think it could work I just couldn't have both lights on at same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Both would work, the first with the mechanical timer works by you adjusting the timer to the time of day and it has approximately 48 small tabs that can be lifted or pushed down around the dial. You push down the tabs for the time when you want the outlets to the powered, i.e. light cycle between 12PM - 6PM would require you push down every single tab between those two times on the dial and the rest are left raised, the dial mechanically spins and turns the lights on and off, since both are individual, you can program to you likeing, so you can have the lights turn on and off as you please. The digital one is the same, so you can activate the two different sets of plugs to be on at the same time, though one set can turn off earlier than the other and vise a versa depending on how you program it.

5. Dang Well Known Member Member

the mechanical one is probably a little more user friendly since I'm not pushing buttons on a digital display it's simple presses certain times up or down on a dial. I have a digital one now with 2 outlets which is perfect only I can't separate them according to the timer.

6. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

The digital one is essentially similar to a water sprinkler valve controller, each set of outlets is similar to zones, so the first two outlets are zone 1, second sent of outlets, zone 2 and so on, you then program each zone to your liking, then there are outlets that are always on similar to a surge protector.

7. 77Impala Well Known Member Member

You could do as I did when I was running 2 tanks from one power strip and had both tanks set to different times for the lights. I bought a short extension cord about 12 inches long that I plugged into the power strip. I plugged one timer on each side. And I use the $6.00 Brinks timers. Hope this helps.

8. Dang Well Known Member Member

I'm trying to figure that out in my head hahaha so you had 1 outlet strip 1 short extension cord and 2 timers?

9. 77Impala Well Known Member Member

Yes. The outlet strip also powered my filters and heaters. Then using short cord I was able to plug in the 2 timers. And seperate lights into each timer.

10. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

. That's how I do also but since my two little tanks are in my bedroom I use a multi outlet adapter which plugs in the wall then two small timers from Walmart $2.99 Just get the multi outlet that has outlets on front and sides so everything fits

11. Jsigmo Well Known Member Member

As Linda suggests: Is there any reason not to just use two separate inexpensive timers? I recently bought several rather nice digital timers for a bit less than $2 each! They were marked down at a Menards store.

Even if you had to pay five or six bucks per timer, just having a separate one for each light system seems acceptable to me.

Anything to keep it cheap! ;)