Outdoor Rocks In The Aquarium?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by GoldieBubbles, Apr 17, 2017.

1. GoldieBubbles

GoldieBubblesValued MemberMember

I am setting up two new fish tanks and I want to use some rocks from outside to do it. The rocks I want to use are under my porch and are from a landscape company. I tested them with apple vinegar and none fizzed or foamed so I moved on a boiled them for around twenty minutes. Can I put them into my tank safely?

2. StarFall

StarFallValued MemberMember

It should be okay, just take a good look at them and make sure there's no dirt or gunk on them.

3. AllieSten

AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Does apple cider vinegar work the same as white distilled vinegar for the test?

4. BuddyD

BuddyDWell Known MemberMember

I have rocks from outside also. We just wash them with hot water then let them sit and dry then put them in the tank. No problems.

5. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Most rocks are safe, but some will alter your pH. I don't know about apple cider vinegar, I have always heard of using white vinegar.

6. OP
    OP
    GoldieBubbles

GoldieBubblesValued MemberMember

Thanks everyone! I am not sure about the vinegar either but I suppose that any vinegar would have the same chemical reaction. This is a tank for a short finned betta so as long as it doesn't majorly affect my pH I am sure it will be fine.

7. Nanologist

NanologistWell Known MemberMember

Generally, all food grade vinegar has been diluted with water to 5% acidity.

Never knew my culinary skills would help in an aquarium forum...

8. Fritzfish

FritzfishNew MemberMember

I used smooth to we rock from my flower beds. Gave them a good scrub with hot water and put them In the tank. They look and worked great. Even used to add good bacteria In My new tank. [​IMG]

9. Yves

YvesValued MemberMember

Most rocks that you find in your yard, in creeks or streams, or elsewhere in nature pose no problems for use in the aquarium. Any rock that you plan on using in your aquarium you should test with Muriatic Acid, which you can buy at any home hardware store, using a few drops per rocks, if you see any kind of bubbling don't use that rock on your tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice