Outdoor pond question

Lebeeze

Okay so I know that an outdoor pond has to be at least 3 feet deep in order for goldfish and koi to survive the winter.

I was wondering if it has to be 3 feet underground, or if a 3 foot deep outdoor container would be okay?

So basically if I just have a 150 gallon outdoor rubbermate tote completely above ground, would the fish survive winter(it gets pretty cold I am in Canada).

MrBryan723

Lolzzzz...
Not at all, that container will turn into a brick here in Texas during the winter so unless you're costal it definitely doesn't stand a chance in Canada.
It doesn't have to be fully buried, you can always insulate in some form or another. Lots of options.
150 isn't really a good choice for more than a few goldfish and less than 1 adult koi long term.
A heater is a game changer as far as fish not freezing is concerned. If you have a heater and a water pump, it will circulate and allow an insulated layer on top wich works well for many goldfish.

Upvote 0

Lebeeze

Lolzzzz...
Not at all, that container will turn into a brick here in Texas during the winter so unless you're costal it definitely doesn't stand a chance in Canada.
It doesn't have to be fully buried, you can always insulate in some form or another. Lots of options.
150 isn't really a good choice for more than a few goldfish and less than 1 adult koi long term.
A heater is a game changer as far as fish not freezing is concerned. If you have a heater and a water pump, it will circulate and allow an insulated layer on top wich works well for many goldfish.
Yeah I'm going to build a filter system similar to a sump for it, wasnt planning on a heater but I could add one during the colder months and just keep it at 72°f or so. As for size, 150 would be fine for me as I only want a couple goldfish maybe 3 or 4 but if I'm going to have to dig anyways I may as well make it larger and ditch the container idea all together.

Upvote 0

it dosnt need to be to deap under ground but will help in the long run when winter hits

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Lebeeze
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
MySquishy
  • Rosegardener
  • Ponds
Replies
Views