Outdoor pond 30g tub

coolio3991

Hello so I have an extra 30g tub and I want to turn it into a pond for my porch. I live in southern oregon. I have heard that zebra danios can survive in cold temp water. Even with ice on it. I'm not going to use a heater. I will have a ton of live plants I'm thinking duckweed, water hyathince, cabomba, and some guppy grass.

I plan on using a planted substrate like seachem fluorite. Idk how much to get. And some pebbles so when they mate the eggs can fall into the cracks.

And I plan on using a second tub a much smaller one as a homemade filter box that creates a water fall. I'd use a aquarium pump with a hose runs upto the bin which has deviders which make the water flow threw the sponges. First spot would be a course sponge, next a fine sponge and then lava rock or biomedia and I may put plants in it aswell like bamboo.

And I will have a aquarium light for the plants my porch is heavily shaded.

Any tips on how to set it up. I think it will be really cool, once it's set up and cycled. Are there any fish that would do even better in the 30g bin outside especially when it gets cold. But for the most part I just dont want fish to jump out. And I know danios will do that. Will guppies work I know some people do that but they use heaters. Will they need heaters in the colder months.

Dunk2

Hello so I have an extra 30g tub and I want to turn it into a pond for my porch. I live in southern oregon. I have heard that zebra danios can survive in cold temp water. Even with ice on it. I'm not going to use a heater. I will have a ton of live plants I'm thinking duckweed, water hyathince, cabomba, and some guppy grass.

I plan on using a planted substrate like seachem fluorite. Idk how much to get. And some pebbles so when they mate the eggs can fall into the cracks.

And I plan on using a second tub a much smaller one as a homemade filter box that creates a water fall. I'd use a aquarium pump with a hose runs upto the bin which has deviders which make the water flow threw the sponges. First spot would be a course sponge, next a fine sponge and then lava rock or biomedia and I may put plants in it aswell like bamboo.

And I will have a aquarium light for the plants my porch is heavily shaded.

Any tips on how to set it up. I think it will be really cool, once it's set up and cycled. Are there any fish that would do even better in the 30g bin outside especially when it gets cold. But for the most part I just dont want fish to jump out. And I know danios will do that. Will guppies work I know some people do that but they use heaters. Will they need heaters in the colder months.

Sounds like a cool idea, but. . . I’m not sure how cold it gets in your area, but I’d be concerned about whether the tubs you’re thinking about using are deep enough to not freeze completely?

emeraldking

Well, there a lot more fish that can be kept outdoors without a heater and depending on the circumstances they're able to survive the winter season.
Fish that can withstand lower temps are white cloud mountain minnows, medakas, paradise fish, zebra danios, a number of splifins (goodeids) species, certain wild swordtail species and certain wild platy species.
If adapted, guppies and endlers can withstand lower temperatures. I keep them outdoors every year since the mid 1980's (endlers since early this century) without any heaters, starting from somewhere spring to somewhere fall.
Here's a link that will discuss keeping fish outdoors: Emeraldking-aquatics livebearers

coolio3991

Well, there a lot more fish that can be kept outdoors without a heater and depending on the circumstances they're able to survive the winter season.
Fish that can withstand lower temps are white cloud mountain minnows, medakas, paradise fish, zebra danios, a number of splifins (goodeids) species, certain wild swordtail species and certain wild platy species.
If adapted, guppies and endlers can withstand lower temperatures. I keep them outdoors every year since the mid 1980's (endlers since early this century) without any heaters, starting from somewhere spring to somewhere fall.
Here's a link that will discuss keeping fish outdoors: Emeraldking-aquatics livebearers
Thank you that's awesome. it is a 30g rubbermaid tub I can take measurements tomorrow. but the coldest it's gotten in the last 3 years is mid 20s and the highest temp was 110. And awesome I will take a look and see which I like the look of the most. I may use a heater in the winter I'm not sure yet.

jtjgg

my above ground 27g storage container had about 4" of ice on top during the week long freeze here in Houston.

you may want to dig a hole and set the tub atleast half way deep so it doesn't completely freeze solid. your filter might completely freeze solid though.

Fishfriendof315

Thank you that's awesome. it is a 30g rubbermaid tub I can take measurements tomorrow. but the coldest it's gotten in the last 3 years is mid 20s and the highest temp was 110. And awesome I will take a look and see which I like the look of the most. I may use a heater in the winter I'm not sure yet.
You are lucky. Im in upstate new york and seen -15 below this past couple winters

coolio3991

my above ground 27g storage container had about 4" of ice on top during the week long freeze here in Houston.

you may want to dig a hole and set the tub atleast half way deep so it doesn't completely freeze solid. your filter might completely freeze solid though.
Wish I could I'm in a second story apartment with a small porch with no option for inground
You are lucky. Im in upstate new york and seen -15 below this past couple winters
I'm glad we dont get that cold. But we get upto 115 in summer
I'm glad we dont get that cold. But we get upto 115 in summer

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Momgoose56
  • Question
  • Dezbian
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
smee82
Replies