Outdoor 2×4 supported above ground pond with a liner?

Rtessy

1.) Is it possible to make an outdoor 2×4 supported above ground pond with a liner? It has to be above ground, and I've seen successful indoor 2×4 supported ponds, but I'm not sure the wood would last outside.
2.) I'm zone 7a/7b, how deep does an above ground pond need to be?

Coradee

Hi, I have no idea what those zones mean but I made a raised pond years ago with tannalised timber so it’s treated for use outside. Between the wood & the liner I used polystyrene & old blankets as insulation & protection for the liner.
That pond & fish lasted for a good few years, & we have cold winters here, so much so the fish outgrew it & went to a friends much larger pond.

david1978

I usually see them made with 4x4 land scaping timber.

Fuzzyfishkeeper

what fish will you put in their goldfish or koi or something else

Rtessy

Hi, I have no idea what those zones mean but I made a raised pond years ago with tannalised timber so it’s treated for use outside. Between the wood & the liner I used polystyrene & old blankets as insulation & protection for the liner.
That pond & fish lasted for a good few years, & we have cold winters here, so much so the fish outgrew it & went to a friends much larger pond.
Great information, thank you! I've got some friends over in England, and at least in their area, it gets waaay colder than Georgia, so good to know it should last. How tall did you make yours?

I usually see them made with 4x4 land scaping timber.
Thanks!

what fish will you put in their goldfish or koi or something else
I'm probably going to get a 11.5×11.5' liner, so way to small for koi (I'll get my koi pond and day!), and I was thinking about maybe moving my common goldfish outside with some sarassa friends, but she developed some bad sbd, so she's probably going to be an indoor fish. I'm honestly thinking just building a 200-400 gallon pond and filling it with minnows and plants, lol. Maybe some scuds and daphnia too. I'm open to some suggestions, I probably won't build it until February.

Rtessy

Does anyone know how deep to make the pond and how thick the pond liner should be? Thanks in advance!

Skavatar

atleast 2' deep, both for the summer heat and cold winter nights.

Rtessy

atleast 2' deep, both for the summer heat and cold winter nights.
So above ground ones don't have to be deeper? Tbh, I'm thinking about going 18" deep, just because Georgia doesn't normally get many hard freezes.

Annie59

So above ground ones don't have to be deeper? Tbh, I'm thinking about going 18" deep, just because Georgia doesn't normally get many hard freezes.

You should be fine. I live in zone 5 and it gets really cold. As long as your water don't freeze solid the fish will be ok.

I used landscaping timbers with marine plywood for the sides and lined mine with a pool liner someone was throwing out lol. So mine was part in ground and the other above ground.
I would still have it except my dog decided he liked to swim and catch my goldfish lol.

Skavatar

2' = 24"

even if not many freezes it does get quite hot in the summer

Rtessy

You should be fine. I live in zone 5 and it gets really cold. As long as your water don't freeze solid the fish will be ok.

I used landscaping timbers with marine plywood for the sides and lined mine with a pool liner someone was throwing out lol. So mine was part in ground and the other above ground.
I would still have it except my dog decided he liked to swim and catch my goldfish lol.
Thanks! And that's such a shame!!

2' = 24"

even if not many freezes it does get quite hot in the summer
Ah, well, the heat does make a difference. I know how many inches are in a foot, lol, I'm just trying to maximize surface area. Also, I think I'll probably stock with rosy reds, and most state their temperature range to be 32-100, which seems a bit nuts, lol. I'm planning on doing a 3ft by 7ft pond, 18" tall (I'll do more research, this isn't final, I have a pond person nearby who will probably tell me the same thing you are, lol), so that will be 170 gallons, the liner I plan on getting is blue, so hopefully less light/hear absorption.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Fraigihd34
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question
  • xsalomexx
  • Ponds
Replies
Views