Outcome of breeding bettas

Kiwi8
I have 2 beautiful bettas and want to breed them someday, I was just wondering what they would look like or what would happen.

My male betta has finrot but I'll cure it way before breeding him with another. He hasn't made any bubble nests ever since I got him, but the female has been making them recently.

If the female makes the bubble nest and the male doesn't can he use the nest for the eggs?

The male is lazy and the female is active but lays down on the gravel most of the time. Would the laziness carry on to the babies?

When the babies grow enough to gender them should I separate each male into a large jar or should I get each male their own tank?

Can every female stay together?

Any advice or answers will help, I'll post the pictures separately though.

Crispii
1. Females don't make bubble nest.

2. Probably not. It might be that your male is getting old.

3. Jar the fish. Jars are more cost effective than tanks. Betta breeders often jar their fish.

4. Not every female can co-exist in the same tank.

Kiwi8

2. Probably not. It might be that your male is getting old.

3. Jar the fish. Jars are more cost effective than tanks. Betta breeders often jar their fish.

4. Not every female can co-exist in the same tank.
Ok thank you. Also I know Mystic is a girl but she does, I've never heard or seen a female betta do that before. Do you think it's normal?

Crispii
Ok thank you. Also I know Mystic is a girl but she does, I've never heard or seen a female betta do that before. Do you think it's normal?
Do what?

Crispii
Make bubble nests
No female Bettas will make a bubble nest. You might have a male.

FinalFins
Is it a determined female? I had a male blow a nest when I thought it was female becasue it's fins hadn't grown in yet.

aoiumi
Uhh, pretty sure they do? Although that's not the important part. Agree with everything else. To get an idea of what they would look like you'd need to know the breeding history of the fish. Pet store betta likely won't breed true in the slightest, and probably shouldn't be breed anyways considering the mess of genetics they are (not that breeder bettas are perfect, to be fair.) You could get a good idea of the process by reading about other people's experiences breeding bettas.

Oh, I assumed these are Betta Splendas, like what you see in any small pet store in horrid cups.

FinalFins
When you think about it females blowing nests doesn't make sense because the male initiates the breeding and in the wild they are the ones waiting around for a female to pass by that he likes.

Kiwi8
Is it a determined female? I had a male blow a nest when I thought it was female becasue it's fins hadn't grown in yet.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah it's female

Kiwi8
Uhh, pretty sure they do? Although that's not the important part. Agree with everything else. To get an idea of what they would look like you'd need to know the breeding history of the fish. Pet store betta likely won't breed true in the slightest, and probably shouldn't be breed anyways considering the mess of genetics they are (not that breeder bettas are perfect, to be fair.) You could get a good idea of the process by reading about other people's experiences breeding bettas.

Oh, I assumed these are Betta Splendas, like what you see in any small pet store in horrid cups.
Yes, they are. I've seen people breed the bettas in cups with each other and they did fine. Is it just a coincidence?

Kiwi8
I have 2 beautiful bettas and want to breed them someday, I was just wondering what they would look like or what would happen.

My male betta has finrot but I'll cure it way before breeding him with another. He hasn't made any bubble nests ever since I got him, but the female has been making them recently.

If the female makes the bubble nest and the male doesn't can he use the nest for the eggs?

The male is lazy and the female is active but lays down on the gravel most of the time. Would the laziness carry on to the babies?

When the babies grow enough to gender them should I separate each male into a large jar or should I get each male their own tank?

Can every female stay together?

Any advice or answers will help, I'll post the pictures separately though.
Here's the female and male

Attachments

• 20191229_101440.jpg
    20191229_101440.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20200126_125351.jpg
    IMG_20200126_125351.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 76
FinalFins
I can't tell which is the female because they look suspiciously both like males. Is there a true egg spot on the female.

Kiwi8
I can't tell which is the female because they look suspiciously both like males. Is there a true egg spot on the female.
Yes, we got her in July and she's always had an egg spot

Crispii
The first pic looks more like a veiltail male. Male Bettas can sometimes have a false egg spot.

Kiwi8
The first pic looks more like a veiltail male. Male Bettas can sometimes have a false egg spot.
Is there such thing of false egg spots?

Crispii
FinalFins
Is there such thing of false egg spots?
Yes, when a male falls under the watch of the most dominant betta they can develop false egg spots to mask their true identity.

jinjerJOSH22
I've heard of a few females building nests, not sure if they're ever used but they can make them. It seems to happen when males don't show interest in them.

aoiumi
Yes, they are. I've seen people breed the bettas in cups with each other and they did fine. Is it just a coincidence?
They can still breed, it's just that the offspring are more likely to have genetic problems, i.e. tumors, bent spines, weak swimbladders, etc. It's just of question of whether the offspring of the fish are actually worth creating.

Beyond that, for the actually experience no matter how healthy your fish are you're still going to have to cull some offspring, as some may be very unhealthy and would live unfulfilling or very short lives.

fabienne
Here's the female and male
Could you maybe try to get us another picture of the female? Preferably one from the side, so you can see the body shape and the size of the ventrals. This would help us confirm she's a female. If we do believe she's a female, I might be able to give you a guess of what the babies would look like.

Kiwi8
Yes, when a male falls under the watch of the most dominant betta they can develop false egg spots to mask their true identity.
But Mystic doesn't flare at all and has the 2 red lines females get when st
They can still breed, it's just that the offspring are more likely to have genetic problems, i.e. tumors, bent spines, weak swimbladders, etc. It's just of question of whether the offspring of the fish are actually worth creating.

Beyond that, for the actually experience no matter how healthy your fish are you're still going to have to cull some offspring, as some may be very unhealthy and would live unfulfilling or very short lives.
Thank you for answering one of my questions.

Kiwi8
Could you maybe try to get us another picture of the female? Preferably one from the side, so you can see the body shape and the size of the ventrals. This would help us confirm she's a female. If we do believe she's a female, I might be able to give you a guess of what the babies would look like.
I'll try, she's in a round tank and she swims fast so it's hard.

Kiwi8
I'll try, she's in a round tank and she swims fast so it's hard.
I tried to get some, hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_20200203_160806.jpg
    IMG_20200203_160806.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20200203_160755.jpg
    IMG_20200203_160755.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20200203_160706.jpg
    IMG_20200203_160706.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20200203_160737.jpg
    IMG_20200203_160737.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20200203_160748.jpg
    IMG_20200203_160748.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 63
Crispii
Kiwi8
Definitely a male.
If this helps, all I've seen is a really really tiny spot but it's not white. I have a baby female and I can see her's clearly and it's bigger than Mystic's. Even in some bright light it's pretty dark.

fabienne
If this helps, all I've seen is a really really tiny spot but it's not white. I have a baby female and I can see her's clearly and it's bigger than Mystic's. Even in some bright light it's pretty dark.
I agree with CrispiI as well, that betta looks like a male. I'm sorry lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RSBettas
Top Bottom