Outcasted Gold Pristilla

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by Ziggi, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

I just got 6 Gold Pristilla Tetras, all perfectly fine when I first put them in the QT tank. While they dont seem stressed (they're out exploring the smallish space), I've noticed one has had it's tail shredded, and hides in the shadowed area behind the driftwood in the tank, while the remaining 5 stay near each other on the other side of the tank. :'(

Is there anything that could have caused this sudden outcasting? will this change eventually/with more fish added (I plan to have a full school of 8-12) or is this one doomed to exile or being picked on or worse? ... oooooor am I over dramatizing this? :rolleyes:

2. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

Is it smaller than the rest?

3. OP
    OP
    Ziggi

Hmmm, they appear about the same size, one is slightly bigger than the rest, but it's hard to tell if the exiled one is the same size as the others, or another big one. If it's bigger, is it possible it's 2 males being aggressive over the females? (I honestly dont know how to sex them, I thought the school of 6 would avoid the stress)

Edit:

Strange development!
    I pulled out my camera to take a pic in case it was bigger/smaller and I just couldn't tell, ended up taking a video instead, it rejoined the school, soon as I put the camera away, it went back to being a loner. I'd think it was a case of "in the sign of danger, hide in a group" but I've put my hand against the glass thinking it was sick, hoping it would atleast move/jump so I knew it was OK, no reaction. Here's the (accidental) vid:

[video=youtube;tOcst2jFbvs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOcst2jFbvs&feature=youtu.be[/video]

It's also kinda twitchy (note at 1:50-2:00), is that normal?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  4. J

You have 4 females and 2 males and the twitching can be due the damaged fins. The injured one is male and smaller than your other male so I think the bigger one is attacking him to keep him away from the females. I would leave him seeing he will more than likely find away back into the pack once the other male realizes there is enough females to go around. I would just do 20% daily water changes and feed NLS Thera A and soak all other foods in garlic juice.

5. OP
    OP
    Ziggi

*salute* :;soldier Affirmative!
    Couple of questions:
    1. sexing- is the size/build (two larger ones have more "musculature" above the spine) the give away?
    2. future - when I get more for the school, will this happen again?
    - should I be picking sexes? if so, whats the ratio?
    3. I noticed bodily damage (best I can describe is like proud flesh... or I guess half of a bite on the body, the chunk of flesh is kinda hanging out...) no pic I take shows it too well though :( can I still treat him the same: daily water change, vitachem and the other additive (I've got NovAqua stuff and API stress coat)? or will that require something else?

Thanks a mil!!!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  6. J

The bolder body ones are the females and the slim ones are your males. Vitachem and Stress coat might help but he might be picked to death if their is a chunk of flesh gone if it was me I would put him in a breeder until he healed. They also might be stressed from being a small space they should be fine once they go in the bigger tank. Mine where twitchy until they got into the bigger tank I am upping my school to 12 soon I have 7 right now 3 females and 4 males and the boss of them all is my smallest male lol.

7. 2HeadedBoy

2HeadedBoy Valued Member Member

I've had 6 (3m, 3f) pristellas for about 3 months now and they are pretty fickle about their schooling habits. For the most part, the females hang out together and the males seem to hang out each on his own most of the time...unless one of them feels like spawning:party0049: They are very peaceful and never pick on each other. This has been my experience and yours may differ.

Just to expand on what Jess said about sexing them:
    Look from the bottom of the gill to the beginning of the anal fin. If it is a relatively straight line between those two points then it is a male. If the body is convex (rounded downward) between those two points then it is a female. Of course, this is much easier to determine if she's carrying eggs.

8. OP
    OP
    Ziggi

I noticed he was going back and forth between seclusion and hanging with the group last night before bed. This am, I was late for work so I didn't look at my tanks X_x; I got 6 instead of 3 because I didn't want to have issues with stress/picking (in hindsight I shoulda gotten 4 ... Oops, I thought schoolers were stressed and picked on others if less than 6). If he is mixing well with the group should I still put him in a breeder as a precaution or will he be further stressed?

9. 2HeadedBoy

Ziggi, how have the Pristellas been doing?

10. OP
    OP
    Ziggi

very well! :D The outcasted one is back with the group with no issues thus far. I'll still be keeping an eye on them, kinda still debating finding my breeder net only because I cant tell if he's getting enough to eat, but his fins are growing back VERY fast! :eek: They're cute and curious little buggars!

11. 2HeadedBoy

That's great news. Really happy to hear that.

In my limited experience...as long as you see him trying to eat, I wouldn’t worry. However, I would definitely worry if he is totally ignoring feeding time and doesn’t respond when you put food in.

Couple things to try:
    1-I have a small glass measuring cup that I feed mine from. I hover it over the water for a minute and they all come up to the front/top of the tank. I try to make sure everybody is there before dumping it in.

2-Have you tried putting food in both ends of the tank at the same time? It spreads out the banquet a little more so that the really aggressive feeders don’t get a monopoly on the food.

“They're cute and curious little buggars!”
    They definitely are. They’re very playful and a lot of fun to watch. Mine get a running/swimming start at one end of the tank and swim through the downward current from the HOB and let it knock them to the bottom. Then they go back and do it again and again and again…

12. OP
    OP
    Ziggi

I soak the pellets in tank water for a little bit, just so the pellets are softer, then pour it across the entire length of the tank. problem is, they're all fast, the injured one is trying... he does get some, not sure if it's a full belly though... but I haven't noticed any lack of interest at all :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice