Out with the old, in with the new... SUCCESS!!!

Rits

I made a big mistake when setting up my 36g. I used white sand as my substrate. Big mistake with messy fish. My plants don't seem as happy in this tank vs my basic gravel 29 gallon tank. Over all I just feel like I couldve done more with this tank and the white sand is an eye sore to me. This was when I first set it up after moving, it was nice then, but some of the plants didnt take the move too well and later died and got picked off by my loaches. (My loaches put holes in EVERYTHING)

20191102_175810.jpg

Ive since added a sponge filter alongside the fluval 50 filter but its not cleaning up the water as much as I had hoped. (Plant debris, Algae everywhere)

Hopefully my Swords and other plants will grow much larger with this new substrate.

Does anyone have any tips and/or tricks with this big change? Will my yoyo loaches be okay with the substrate change? Will send pics when I finish.

jkkgron2

I made a big mistake when setting up my 36 gallon. I used white sand as my substrate. Big mistake with messy fish. My plants don't seem as happy in this tank vs my basic gravel 29 gallon tank. Over all I just feel like I couldve done more with this tank and the white sand is an eye sore to me. This was when I first set it up after moving, it was nice then, but some of the plants didnt take the move too well and later died and got picked off by my loaches. (My loaches put holes in EVERYTHING)

20191102_175810.jpg

Ive since added a sponge filter alongside the fluval 50 filter but its not cleaning up the water as much as I had hoped. (Plant debris, Algae everywhere)

Hopefully my Swords and other plants will grow much larger with this new substrate.

Does anyone have any tips and/or tricks with this big change? Will my yoyo loaches be okay with the substrate change? Will send pics when I finish.
Loaches should be fine, a tip is to put gravel under the sand where the plant will go, it helps give the roots oxygen

jake37

I grew my little yoyo out in a tank with sandy river black substrate (it is a little bigger than the whtie sand but a lot smaller than eco-complete black substrate - maybe .75 to 1.25 mm where the sand is likely .25 to .75 - the eco-complete is 7mm to 1.5mm (so a lot coarser); anyway I moved my yoyo from the 29 to the 120 with the eco-complete and they were happy for the greater space to roam and appear to be happy critters (they were in the 29 for about 8 weeks and have been in the 120 for about 6 weeks) - they have gone from around 1 inch to around 5 inch.... so fast growers but my estimate of time might be off.
-
Anyway I haven't noticed them disliking the eco-complete which is quite coarse (imho) for a planted tank. Btw my plants seem to do fine in all three substrates (white sand (carib moonshine); and the two tanks mentioned above). I like the look of the 29 the best - here is a picture of the 29 and 120 (I made a lot of mistakes in the 120 with regards to plant placement but figure i'd leave it alone till I move):

g.jpg
2.jpg

Rits

Loaches should be fine, a tip is to put gravel under the sand where the plant will go, it helps give the roots oxygen

I wish I realized this before I went all crazy with the sand. Oh well, the sand is gonna be used for my bonsai/zen garden I plan to make when it gets a bit warmer.

I grew my little yoyo out in a tank with sandy river black substrate (it is a little bigger than the whtie sand but a lot smaller than eco-complete black substrate - maybe .75 to 1.25 mm where the sand is likely .25 to .75 - the eco-complete is 7mm to 1.5mm (so a lot coarser); anyway I moved my yoyo from the 29 to the 120 with the eco-complete and they were happy for the greater space to roam and appear to be happy critters (they were in the 29 for about 8 weeks and have been in the 120 for about 6 weeks) - they have gone from around 1 inch to around 5 inch.... so fast growers but my estimate of time might be off.
-
Anyway I haven't noticed them disliking the eco-complete which is quite coarse (imho) for a planted tank. Btw my plants seem to do fine in all three substrates (white sand (carib moonshine); and the two tanks mentioned above). I like the look of the 29 the best - here is a picture of the 29 and 120 (I made a lot of mistakes in the 120 with regards to plant placement but figure i'd leave it alone till I move):

g.jpg
2.jpg

Beautiful tanks! I wish I could upgrade bigger but my house is quite small. I also rent so I will eventually need to make the "big move" some time in my life and such a large tank would be impossible for me. Eco complete was another subtrate I was thinking about, but the clay really caught my eye.

Rits

Is everything okay with this temp set up? I'm trying my absolute best to make them comfortable. I have 6 Otos, 3 yoyo loaches, 2 veiltail gold rams and 6 zebra danios
20200101_152423(0).jpg

jake37

Depends how long - that container looks pretty small - also what type of loaches do you have and how many.
-
When I moved from ne to se the drive was two days and I put my fishes in a 20 gallon tote - my largest at the time was only 4 inch swordtail - but I also had 7 cardinals, a couple of otto and some other stuff. Everyone made it ok but that was only 2 days. If you put them in that container (from the pic i'm guess it is only 7 or 8 gallon) I wouldn't want them to be in it too long but it is hard to judge since you never really stated what you had.
-
In my current tank all of my loaches are too large for a 5 gallon container for longer than a day or so.

Rits

This is only until I switch out their substrate. So maybe 3 more hours for a total of 4? I have 3 Yoyo Loaches. They are about 4-5inches 1 year old. Its about 10 Gallons of water. It is a 16 gallon tote. I didnt want to make ot too high because my loaches will jump if they really wanted to.

jake37

If the only fish you have are 3 yoyo and that container is more than 5 gallons you should be fine - might add an airstone and be sure to check occasionally in case they decide to take a flying leap.

Rits

I left about 9 inches from the water to the top of the tote. It has a heater, an airstone and a sponge filter in it. I have to leave them overnight because even after I rinsed the substrate over 30 times, it still made my tank "muddy". I can't even see through it! Hopefully by tomorrow it will settle down a bit and be ready for them. I have all my fish in that tote since I can't put them anywhere else or have anymore spare equipment. I used their tank water to fill the tote and dosed it with stress coat +. Fingers crossed no problems tomorrow!

jake37

Good luck. Things will probably be fine.

Rits

Update: I hate Flourite. Ive washed it over 100 times. I'm not even exaggerating at this point. The water is like when you use brown and red in a watercolor painting! Ive been up since 1am and got up at 7am. This is a disaster. 3 bags later and It still comes out watered down brown. When I finish I better see results! "May need rinsing" what a joke. Big funny seachem, big funny. Ive been bamboozled and I'm tired. Trying to get this all done by work at 2pm, currently 8:24am. Just need to pour it into the tank and fill, Decorate and somehow get all my fish back in. But first, I need coffee.

Rits

This is where I am at. Definitely better than it was. Gonna let the water heat up, add back my volcanic rocks, driftwood and plants. This has been educating, but exhausting at the same time.

20200102_094050.jpg
Fish seem okay, danios act like nothing is happening. Otos aren't so greyed out anymore. Rams are chilling and loaches are in hiding. Poor little guys. Going to treat them to a snail dinner tonight.

jake37

Yea I had the same problem with caribsea moonshine; the eco-complete did better. I'm sure it worked out fine. I have the most problem with rams so if they are happy everyone will be.

Rits

Finally done! I wosh I couldve waited a bit longer for the substrate to settle but my yoyos were getting restless. Everyone has been acclimate and is now checking out their surroundings and a little stressed from the cloudiness. I tried to keep it somewhat the same so that it wasn't too stressful. Once I put in some food that all changed. It was tunnel vision. Lol. The only thing I am worried about are the otos. They seem super stressed and one of them got latched onto my net somehow so I had to gently shake him around to get it off him without pulling. Poor thing. Will let you guys know if anything changes.
20200102_125331.jpg

Rits

I came home from work to a beautiful home! Happy fish! Everyone made it through the change!!

20200102_230006.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BobbyGregg
Replies
Views
Kribensis27
Replies
Views
Cody
Replies