out of the 4, which one breeds best?

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Please keep in mind that you should have no more than 1 inch of total fish length per gallon of water, and that means their full adult size.

Joe G

Valued Member
Reaction score
I found that Platys breed very easily. you should not have any problems. and when you get them from pet store some of them are usually ready to have fry anyways.

Izabela

Valued Member
Reaction score
If your water conditions are not excellent your fish might not breed. I also found that gradually increasing the water temperature (I have mine at about 80 degrees F) gets them "in the mood". Feeding a varied diet helps and ensures healthy mom+babies. Other than that, all livebearers are excellent breeders...and every female molly I ever bought was already pregnant. Usually if you ask them at the store, they will point out the obviously pregnant females to you. What size tank do you have? Is it cycled (if not than your female might abort her pregnancy or your babies will get very sick and die). You should try to stick to no more than 1 inch of fish per Gallon. Good luck...raising fry is so much fun.

Remember that ALL livebearers will eat their young, so move your babies into a breeder as soon as you spot them. Feed them finely crushed (into a powder...literally) flakes and/or baby brine shrimp; I feed mine both.

Izabela

PHI

Reaction score
I've had luck breeding all four types, however, Guppies became a real problem for me. I went from 1 male and 3 females to over 300 guppies in about a year.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
300!!! what did you do with them all?! - i guess the boys and girls are seperated now then!!!

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Guppies have been the best out of all of them from what I know and have experienced. They are pretty easy to breed, and will keep breeding with the right male.

justaplayr

Reaction score
I breed platys, guppys, and mollies. The platys seem to breed the fastest and have the most fry for me. Most of my female platys have somewhere around 30 to 60 fry at a time. I have one mickey mouse platy that has had 80 in one drop. My guppys usually have somewhere around 10 to 30 in one drop.

ssh_condor

Reaction score
Common sense would suggest guppies. Guppies being smaller, needing less development, and thus breed more to occupy the same volume. Thats only a guess though.

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have swordtails and have had fry since we got them 2 years ago.....I've brought more than 30 to the LFS since having fish......And I'm about to bring 5 more......

TheEssigs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
My MM Platy just had babies on the 20th. They are sooo cute. My dalamation molly had babies too, but I didnt catch it in time, and well, they were fish food.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yea, they're pretty cute.. the other day we saw a very unusual thing - a livebearer tank at the pet store with fry in it.. i don't know how the little ones are still alive, the tank had dead adults in it and no cover.. shows how good the fry can hide & survive sometimes.

TheEssigs

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I had the MMP in its own tank with an oto, and 2 corys, and as soon as she gave birth I moved her... thats why I still have 10. But after the move, she must have let some more go cuz in the LB tank there is a sole fry hiding in the brush! My Dalamation molly is pregnant again too (when are they not, really). I just love those little guys!

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I can only speak for mollies but MAN do they pop fry! For me, it's every 3 to 4 weeks, without fail. As I have 5 females, you can imagine how much fry we've got...

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Oh yeaaaah, I can totally imagine. Once you've had the big game, it's an entirely different 'kettle of fish'.

I still like my mollies 'heaps' (Oz ), but I have to admit, theyre not as stunning or expressive as the bigger fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom