Out Of Curiosity...

1. Kysarkel000

Kysarkel000 Well Known Member Member

What's the largest crustacean one could keep in a tank without it praying upon small fish (~ guppy sized)? And what would it's minimum tank size requirement be?

2. ChaseAce

ChaseAce Valued Member Member

Shrimp are the only ones I can think of for freshwater. Crawfish and small freshwater crabs would eat any fish they could catch.

3. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

You could try a Vampire Shrimp, they are big and won't prey on the fish :)

4. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Dwarf Mexican Crayfish. It leaves even the Ember Tetras and shrimp alone.

5. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Bamboo shrimp get pretty big, and are peaceful. You'd just have to make sure they're getting enough particles in the water column to feed on, because they use their fans to filter feed.

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

That is the down side to having the filtration I have for my photography, I can not keep them :(

7. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I forgot about the Vampire and Bamboo shrimp (same thing?). They do get huge, relatively speaking. They kind of creep me out, though. My LFS has them quite often. If they’re not feeding in the water column, they’re picking at the sponge filters.

8. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

A shame, you'd probably take great pictures of them and their fans! What filtration do you have for photography?

9. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Valued Member Member

Look up fresh water pom pom crabs

10. Thunder_o_b

I run a combination of canisters and HOB 0ver 10x the water column. As an example the 37 guppy aquarium has over 700 GPH in filtration. Except for the 150 it only has 1,420 GPH in filtration.

The water is so clear the poor things would starve.

I service the filters weekly on rotation. HOB one week canisters the next.

I have a very old shot of a pair I had many years ago. Not a great shot. I was still using under gravel filters at that time so the water was not crystal.
    _MG_4264 copy.0.jpg

11. t

tjander Well Known Member Member

Over filtration is not a problem, you just need to crush the food finely and get it into the stream of water that the bamboo is looking for. The other option is to turn your filters off while you feed the bamboo.

12. Thunder_o_b

Something to consider.