Question Out of curiosity, what are those snails ?

OuiBonjour

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a bunch of them in my tanks. Small ones in my 5 gallon, and all sizes in my 20 gallon (from very small to... medium I think ? Like, half an inch ?)

I have a lot but I don't hate them. I like when they get on a loose leave and surf all around the tank very fast in the flow caused by the cascade of my filter. Maybe they're scared. Maybe they have the time of their live. I dunno, they're snails.

I'm just curious about what they are. So far they're my friends. If I get too much of them I'll put a piece of lettuce, I read they all gather there for a small party and that it's easy to get rid of them then. I'm a real party pooper.

Anyway, here's my boi, chilling upside down on the surface, apparently holding on absolutely nothing :

2020-05-27 00_33_07-Window.png

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The person above me is of the "pest" variety. We are kin.

OP
OuiBonjour

OuiBonjour

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks. Are they a pain in the popotin just because they breed like crazy, or are they bad for plants or something ?

So far I have like maybe 5 "big" ones and maybe 6-7 babies all across my 20 gallon, and I just moved 2 adults to my cycling 44 to eat some slime out of my driftwood.

Will they F something up ? Like destroy my plants, or they'll just form a very numerous gang ?

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The breeding. They won't typically eat live plants, just dead leaves and algae and such. I can't remember if these are asexual or not, but i think they are sexual but they might also be one that can clone themselves. Snails are weird.
Some people use them for a cleanup crew along with shrimp, but they can definitely get out of hand, which is why many consider them pests. Unless you have a puffer. Then food.

Basil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mine do a great job of cleaning algae off my plants so in-line them. But between my soft water and fish that like snail snacks, I have a difficult time keeping them alive. :(

OP
OuiBonjour

OuiBonjour

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks, I think I'll keep them for now.

I like like 90% of them, except when they're on the front glass of the tank. Then they look like boogers.

But they rarely do. I think my goldfishes keep them in line, they follow the rules.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MrBryan723 said:
The breeding. They won't typically eat live plants, just dead leaves and algae and such. I can't remember if these are asexual or not, but i think they are sexual but they might also be one that can clone themselves. Snails are weird.
Some people use them for a cleanup crew along with shrimp, but they can definitely get out of hand, which is why many consider them pests. Unless you have a puffer. Then food.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that it takes two to make babies, but any two will work. They aren't male and female, or both have male and female characteristics, or something like that. You're right. Snails are weird.

MomeWrath

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm in the "pet" camp. Well, benevolent hitchikers anyway. I have purposely introduced them in all of my tanks. They keep algae under control and do not harm the living plants. Pretty sure JettsPapa is right, it takes two to tango. If they get some size to them they are pretty neat to watch and lose the "booger" aesthetic. I put some in my porch pond that are about the size of a nickel now. Those are the biggest I have seen, and yes, they lived through the winter. My daughter calls them "tank sprinkles".

erinw347

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JettsPapa said:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that it takes two to make babies, but any two will work. They aren't male and female, or both have male and female characteristics, or something like that. You're right. Snails are weird.
Yep, most snails are hermaphrodites. They have both reproductive organs so any two will reproduce. There are exceptions though. Mystery and nerite snails are gender specific. Also, bladder snails can reproduce by themselves.

New Threads