Out of curiosity how did you muli-tank syndrome people get addicted?

Tio

Reaction score
i lost all but one fish in my 55 gallon so i a got my self a quaritine tank 30 gallon it came with 2 angles and 3 mollies. in another 2 weeks they will be moved into my 55 which has 9 mollies, 3 platties and 1 pleco.then i will have to put some thing into the 30.in just snowballs from there i guess.

orb4me

Reaction score
me too

I just wanted a little fish tank and some cute fish.

I see the addiction is everywhere!! and I thought I was the only person with a actual on going saga of the fish In the tank. I can talk for hours about each fish and the oddest of things that they do.

oh, speaking of which. I have this molly that lays in wait for his mate, when she comes alone, he jumps off the rock and chases her...... oops sorry. lol

Jizzy

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well for me, It started when I took home a centerpiece from a party containing 2 feeder fish and a betta. The feeder fish did not make it through the night and the betta was looking rather sick. My brother reminded me that I had a 10 gallon in my closet that used to house a turtle. So a couple of days later, I moved "Betto" in the 10 gal and the rest is history.

fishgirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
When I was very young my mom had a fish tank for a few years...Then for Years and years I had no fish in my life...then for my B-Day my husband got me a 10 gallon I put in Platies...Well I had to have a Q-Tank so I got a 5.5 gallon and it looked soooo lifeless so I put some danios and Cherry Red Shrimp...Well then the I wanted some bigger fish so I had to get 37G for the loaches and to the danios would have more room....I'm Still trying to talk the husband in to letting me have 90+G

KonaBoy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, growing up, I always had fish in some way, shape or form. There was usually a 15 gallon running in the winter, while in the summer the fish lived out in a pond in the backyard. But, they were mostly matenence free, in the summer, they'd just eat bugs or whatever fell in, and in the winter, we'd just feed them when we went downstairs to get our hockey equipment 3 or 4 times a week. Water changes rarely happened *ducks for cover* Then, last September when I came to college I was browsing through Wal-Mart and saw that they were having a "Back-To-School-Betta-Sale". So for...$15? you could get a Betta and a "Betta Kit". I hadn't had a Betta since I was a kid (last one died when we let someone look after it), and I didn't really know anyone in Thunder Bay, so I decided, why not? Betta's are neat fish, colourfull and I could use some company. Then I started to know he was looking a bit on the unhappy side, so I went home one weekend and grabbed my parents old 15 gallon. Well, when he got in there, he brightenend up immediately, started swimming, just overall a happier fish. Then, I recieved two Zebra Danio's and two W.C.M.M.'s, and heard they couldn't go together, so stupidly, I put Zaboo back in his .5 gallon. He sulked for a week. Then, my friend who wanted to buy me a tank cleaning fish for Christmas, got convinced (by me) to buy me a tank instead. So we trooped off to PetSmart, and grabbed a 2.5 Gallon (it was the only one that would fit in my room). Then, by pure chance, I decided to see if they had any Swordtails in stock, and TADA!! A 10 gallon for CHEAPER (I could make room). So, I brought the 10 home, filled in with conditioned water, and then put Zaboo in. So now I have two empty .5 gallon tanks (not much good for anything), a 10 gallon with Zaboomafoo (male Betta) and a 15 gallon with Zebra Danio's, W.C.M.M.'s and one Dwarf Gourami

ambientchica

Reaction score
Mine started by watching Finding Nemo! My daughter loved anything to do with fish and so I got a little Explorer type aquarium (2.5 gal) while buying cat food one day. The next week I saw a 50 gallon for $35 @ at garage sale and was tempted but didn't buy it and I SO should have. I spent the next months asking for an aquarium for Xmas and now have my 2.5 gallon and a 25 gallon. Next year we are going for a 100. A tank a year and they keep getting bigger but w/e! I love keeping fish especially now that I have the hang of it. I used to think I would be the old lady with the cats but now I think I may just be the old lady with the whole wall of my living room as an aquarium plus multiple other tanks around the house. Ill have to build it myself to afford it, Im sure but it would be SO cool!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It all started the day Hubby bought a goldfish for the cat to watch because the cat was home all day alone.
We now have a 75 gallon, 2-55 gallon, 2-30 gallon, 1-29 gallon, 2-10 gallon, 1-20 gallon and more empty tans to fill
Carol

Angela_96

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I loved reading how all you all started your tankhoods! My tanks are spreadout throughout my kitchen trough my living room... The sad thing is in a money discussion with my husband last night we decided that no more tanks will be bought for a while. (I can fix that with my next 2 work sced I took a lot of extra time he he he!) If I work more than 40 hours (i only work part time) I make triple what he makes w/ his full time job) so I can afford to spend quite a bit on my hobby!

Anyways, to the person about planing to put tanks in the room being severe mts, well I am planing to get a small betta tank for my bedroom, my mothers betta babies are growing wonderfully and I am going to get one for my bedroom, and I am moving the kids into their own rooms, and of coarse they need tanks... and so on.. my husband enjoys the relaxation of the water so I am going to put one in his bedroom (he has sleep apnea and we cannot sleep in the same room) to help him sleep.

Guess what, my mts is spreading into my family members homes! Mom said to carry it to her home! I offered to help her w/ a huge tank if she got one, so she is getting at least a 150 gallon tank for angels! she has 5 tanks I think (like mother like daughter!), and I just set up a 5 gallon tank for my mother in law, her second tank to cycle so I could give her some guppy fry. I grined real big and said I gotcha now! You'll have at least a
30 gallon in a couple months when I'm done with you!! My family comes to my house and its catching! They see how much I am into my tanks, and they want them too...
Then I say well, if you get one I will come and help you clean it (hey if they offer free babysitting while I work thats the least I could do for either of my kids grandparents!)...

I will infect all my family with MTS before its over! But Educated MTS even if I have to be the one to care for the tanks!

corylover

Valued Member
Reaction score
mine started with my son getting a tank for is birthday and guess who got to set it up and take care of it. we had a lot of livebearers so you know what that means. so I got a tank for the little ones. then I got another small one for me to choose fish and then my sister gave me a 40 gallon tank that they had at their store that she wanted to downsize and then I had a tub with cory eggs and then fry.
then I moved and gave away one of the 10 gallon tanks but I inherited a goldfish bowl which I tried to keep a betta and it died so then I tried a goldfish and it died so then I got some feeder fish and they lived but I ended up getting a three gallon tank for the goldfish and broke the goldfish bowl by mistake so now I'm planing a 10 gallon for the goldfish once it gets bigger, another 10 gallon for a hospital tank and maybe another 10 gallon for a breeding tank once the basement is finished and a 30 gallon so I get to pick out my own fish for a change.

oheady

Reaction score
My parents got me a 29 gallon when I was 14 because I was into anything and everything about animals. I kept that tank running for 3 years and then went in the Marines. Nobody else wanted to deal with it so it went away.

When I got out I went about 15 years with no tank until we built a new house. Then I had room and bought the 37 gallon. I had it running for a few months and got an 80 gallon at an auction for $75 so I bought it along with 2 big Emperor filters that were still new in the box and over the next couple months got it going. I didn't have to go through as much of a pain cycling it because I seeded it with a sponge I kept in the other tank for a couple weeks so it was a week to cycle instead of the 27 days for the 37. Yes I know I could have spread any diseases between the 2 tanks but it worked and I didn't have any problems. Then I bought a 10 gallon that I keep for a quarantine tank with 3 white Clouds to keep the bio filter going.

I also have a 29 gallon with 2 Leopard geckos and a 75 gallon with my bearded dragon in it. When my dragon dies in a few years I'll probably set that 75 gallon up with African cichlids.

Firecracker

Valued Member
Reaction score
I started with a betta in a bowl, and after researching why he wasn't doing so hot I learned all about bettas' needs and the cycle blah blah. So I got a used 30 gallon, but he didn't do well in the community tank (some do, some don't) so we got a used 10 gal. But it needed a few parts (biowheel, filter cover, light, glass top), the total of which was more than a cheap small ready-to-go setup. So we picked up the 5 gal at Petsmart. So now we have the 10 gal, which still needs parts, and I'm not sure what we will do with that--maybe a quarantine tank or fry tank. And my fiance, who usually does NOT join me in my obsessions, decided he really likes fish and is already picking out a spot for a 75 gal to fill with cichlids.

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi!

FireCracker - why not put 2 guppies and 15 shrimp (Any kind you like!) in the 10 gallon!?

Firecracker

Valued Member
Reaction score
HatchetHaven said:
Hi!

FireCracker - why not put 2 guppies and 15 shrimp (Any kind you like!) in the 10 gallon!?
We could do that. I like guppies. Or fancy goldfish, I like those and they aren't good with anything else. We haven't decided what to do yet--the filter is missing its wheel and cover, and it needs a light and glass top.

Kris likes the tiger barbs, too. They are pretty.

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Firecracker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hmm, goldfish definitely get big. Didn't know the barbs did. He is kind of stuck on barbs. I will see what he thinks of hatchets. There are lots of others too ...

SereneReyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
i think puffers are cute. if i ever wound up with a tank that size and nothin' to do with it... i think i'd get a puffer. they hardly even look like a fish, they're like a little... blob with eyeballs.

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi!

Dwarf puffers are cool. A red cherry shrimp colony can make good profit from what I've heard - I'm starting on soon. Make sure you are really dealing in Common (AKA silver or river hatchet) hatchets - marbleds get to big for that size tank. 4 Platys or guppys would be cool, or even a betta. 6 Small tetras would be cool.

Firecracker

Valued Member
Reaction score
SereneReyn said:
i think puffers are cute. if i ever wound up with a tank that size and nothin' to do with it... i think i'd get a puffer. they hardly even look like a fish, they're like a little... blob with eyeballs.
Oh, I've never even thought about those. How big do they get?

HatchetHaven said:
Hi!

Dwarf puffers are cool. A red cherry shrimp colony can make good profit from what I've heard - I'm starting on soon. Make sure you are really dealing in Common (AKA silver or river hatchet) hatchets - marbleds get to big for that size tank. 4 Platys or guppys would be cool, or even a betta. 6 Small tetras would be cool.
Hmmm, another good thought. Not sure I want to breed but if they're in demand enough to sell easily on CL or somewhere it might work out.

We thought about either dividing it and getting 2 more bettas, or doing the 6 tetras. There are so many kinds of tetras, but I also love bettas and (don't get me wrong, I love poor Arthur) the one I have now is a tiny bit drab.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dwarf puffers are only about an inch or so, but need 3 gallon of water and don't really play well with others too much. They're really cool little fish.

Firecracker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah I like those. We'll probably be getting those since they'll have that 3rd tank all to themselves.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom