Out Of Control Java Moss

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by slybry, Apr 8, 2017.

1. slybry

slybry New Member Member

Hey all. Any tips for controlling Java moss? I think it was a mistake. It's attaching itself to everything.

2. Catfish12345

Catfish12345 Valued Member Member

Give it to me :)

3. OP
    OP
    slybry

slybry New Member Member

LOL. If only it was that easy.

4. b

billmarshall94 Valued Member Member

I took mine out just takes over in the tank...plus it traps a lot of crap...

5. OP
    OP
    slybry

slybry New Member Member

yeah. took mine out as well but it's proving super hard to eradicate

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Can you take a pic of it? It shouldn't be too difficult to manually remove it.

7. OP
    OP
    slybry

slybry New Member Member

20170408_174502.jpg 20170408_174448.jpg

that was after I did some tweezing and pruning today. still attached to everything

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  8. TexasDomer

That's not Java moss, that's algae. Do frequent water changes with gravel vacs to remove the gunk off the substrate. How long are your lights on? Do you dose any ferts?

9. OP
    OP
    slybry

slybry New Member Member

pretty sure it's moss. I started with a java moss ball and I watched as it crept up the driftwood. looks nice at first. then out of control. I can pull it up by the threads if I comb through the grass. I doss florish excel and flourish though admittedly not regularly enough. water changes every 7 to 14 days

lights are on a timer approx 8 hours. the brightness has been on med highish but not full strengh

10. TexasDomer

What you have coming off the vals and on the substrate in the grass is not Java moss. It's algae. It's possible you were mistakenly sold algae instead of a moss ball.

11. OP
    OP
    slybry

slybry New Member Member

hum. that certainly could be. So you think I can starve it out?

12. TexasDomer

I would manually remove it (yes, it'll be a pain and take forever, but I would definitely get it off the substrate), increase your water changes to twice weekly (gravel vaccing each time to manually remove it), and put a siesta period in your lighting (so 3-4 hours on, 4 hours off, 3-4 hours on, 12-14 hours off). What kind of lighting do you have?

13. OP
    OP
    slybry

slybry New Member Member

I'll give it a shot! I forgot the brand. it's one of the petco led full spectrum light strips. it said it was made for planted aquariums.

14. OP
    OP
    slybry

slybry New Member Member

well. so it's not going well. this is totally exasperating. I want to rip everything out and start over :-(

15341f92a803227fe3ad09cedf8c4888.jpg

15. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Green hair algae... this is what actual java moss looks like:

What ferts do you dose?

16. OP
    OP
    slybry

slybry New Member Member

seachum. why the heck would someone sell me a ball of that. what do people use it for. feel like my tank is ruined. do you think I stand a chance of irradiating it without starting over?

17. TexasDomer

Yes. Looks like you're not manually removing it. Remove it daily, if necessary.

18. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Lower your photoperiod, dim the lights with a dimmer if they are LEDs, add floating plants, and do a hydrogen peroxide and excel treatment. Then add amano shrimp, they will eat the algae, but you need to eliminate the cause first.

19. m

mbkemp Valued Member Member

Peroxide might help. Be careful with how much

Sorry, I took too long to post mine. Great info right here

20. OP
    OP
    slybry

slybry New Member Member

ok thanks all. I'll keep at it then

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice