Out of all my 4 angelfish, one has to be a bully. 50 Gallon Tank

1. BrocksFish Initiate Member

Angelfish bully and other sick.

I have 4 angelfish. They are all brillant looking. Now, the one I like, the small one, gets chased and picked on by the big yellow-faced angelfish. I don't think he is territorial, but if the small one comes in about 5 - 10 cm of the range of the yellow-faced big angelfish, he strikes. Now, there's a silver angelfish I have that's as big as the yellow-faced one. The yellow-face one doesn't pick on the silver, and the silver doesn't pick on the yellow-face. The silver one usually follows and swims with him, like a school bullies sidekick. The silver one doesn't pick on the small one, only the yellow-face one does.

The last angel fish is a black-stripey silver angelfish. He gets picked on by the yellow-face, but not the silver one. The black-stripey silver angel is about 3/4 of the yellow-face's body. So, he tends to hide in the purple weeds, and the yellow-faced one doesn't bother him. But the small angelfish likes to watch me typing at the computer at the glass, so it makes the yellow-faced one get to him easily.

What should I do to fix this situation? I'm only 12 hours into the tropical fish life (I bought them 12 hours ago), so I don't want any monkey business or bullying going on.

Thanks for any replys.

Regards,
    Brock.

Edit : My black striped silver angelfish is sick i think. He hides in the weeds, doesn't move, and breathes fast. What's wrong?!

2. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

the black-silver one that got picked on right?
    he may just be hiding while he recovers, if he is sick i would be thinking finrot or fungus due to getting picked on and open sores, but thats just what i would think because he was getting picked on it COULD be something else.

3. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore:;balloons

Did you cycle you tank first? Your aquarium info list other fish, were they all added at the same time? Do you have a test kit to see what your water parameters are? If you give us a little more info, it will be easier to help you figure out whats going on.........

Good Luck

4. BrocksFish Initiate Member

My waters we're horrible, last week. We got some goldfish to improve all the rest of it. We put 25ml of Stress Zyme for 6 days. We got the water tested yesterday, and it was all good. We just had to improve the KH.

By cycling the tank, you mean the toxic stuff and all the rest of it, yeah, I guess I cycled it. It only the angelfish that are having problems. One is fighting with other angelfish, ones scared and looks sick, ones got a small fin like Nemo.

The rummy-nose tetras, red-eyed tetras, congo tetras, bristlenose catfish, red-tail black shark, are all good. I'm thinking of getting more rummy-nose tetras because they are schoolers.

My waters are tested from our local aquarium.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
    Brock.

5. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Hello and Welcome to Fishlore.

Angelfish are a Cichlid. Can be aggressive and terrortial when they pair up or sizing each other up. It's best to get Angels all the same size. Since one is smaller then the others he will get picked on. There is nothing you can do to stop it, just have to take him back to the LFS if it doesn't stop or get another tank for him. Also Anglefish are sensitive to water quality, prone to getting finrot if the water is not good. Meaning ammonia and/or nitrite present will trigger finrot. I would advise to get your own liquid test kit. Good luck for your little guy.

6. BrocksFish Initiate Member

Is it normal to have a big angelfish and an angelfish 1/4 of it's body and the big one doesn't pick on him?

I might take the aggressive one back, he's the only one causing problems.

Regards,
    Brock.

7. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Can you post some pics of them? You may have a pair? They sound just beautiful, pics, pics pics ;D

8. BrocksFish Initiate Member

Ok, here they are :

I added a few pictures of other fish too.

2 Angels
    http://img691.imageshack.us/i/2angelfishies.png/

This is the angel that gets picked on
    http://img97.imageshack.us/i/beingpickedonangelfish.png/

The Bully Angel
    http://img6.imageshack.us/i/bullyangelfish.png/

The Nice Angel :)
    http://img40.imageshack.us/i/photoscaredangelfish.png/

The Sick Angel, I think. ;:barf
    http://img6.imageshack.us/i/sickangel.png/

The Bristle-Nose Catfish cleaning the rocks
    http://img6.imageshack.us/i/bristlenosecatfishonroc.png/

Too Fast Too Rummy (Too Fast Too Furious) They are fast! :;dogrun
    http://img23.imageshack.us/i/toorummytoofast.png/

Regards,
    Brock.

P.S. Sorry for links, pictures wouldn't show.

9. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

it's possible that two of the angels have paired off, or that you've just got a mean one. however, with four it's likely that two will pair off anyways and then they'll set up camp and terrorize the others while they try to spawn. i would definitely suggest thinking about taking a few of those angels back. if you can spot a pair (two of them will hang out together a lot, start defending an area of the tank) then it's probably safe to keep those two and return the others. you'll start to see lots of aggression if any of the angels start spawning.

also, as another thing to watch out for i'd keep an eye on those tetras, your angels may think that they are a snack!

someone mentioned the nitrogen cycle earlier, i'd definitely suggest getting your own test kit, the API kit is the one i recommend. you want the tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. pH isn't as quite important as stores would have you think, as long as your fish are acclimated properly MOST can adjust to a normal pH, but it's not a bad thing to know what it is. i wouldn't rely on the stores to test your water, they may use paper strips which are extremely unreliable or will just tell you that your water is "good" without explaining what your measurements are. the numbers you're looking for are 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, and 5-20ppm nitrate.

i'm a little confused as to what you mean when you say you got goldfish to improve the water?

10. Diver Dave Initiate Member

I set up an angel tank for a friend with two Kois and two blacks. One black almost killed one Koi so we removed the black to my tank. When the fish matured the bully and bulee both were females, so the black female tried to kill off her competition the Koi female. The other two fish were both males (we are trying to breed each pair now) Maybe thats whats happening in your tank. If the bullied fish is hiding and breathing heavy I would remove it b4 it dies from stress. Good luck.

11. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I'm concerned that your profile says you are familiar with the nitrogen cycle however in your earlier post you say "By cycling the tank, you mean the toxic stuff and all the rest of it, yeah, I guess I cycled it." Plus you mentioned you added goldfish to help the tank. Let us know how you cycled the tank and what the water parameters are.

12. BrocksFish Initiate Member

It's hard to say. How do you do all that?

And the goldfish help the water with ammonia and all that, making it good for the water. I can go and ask him tomorrow what it does and I can post it up here.

Regards,
    Brock.

13. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

By adding those Goldfish it starts the cycle process. Like adding any fish does. Basically you get the same thing doing it fishless by adding 100% pure ammonia. By feeding the fish it makes them produce waste and the excess food that falls onto the gravel breaks down, food sucked up into the filter also is a contributor factor for ammonia, then nitrite and then into nitrAte. He had you add goldfish for a cheap ammonia source as I see it. But that is not the way to go, I hope you figured that out. It doesn't matter anymore, it's done and over with. IMO I hope next time you will do a fishless cycle. :) Anyway, just make sure you keep up on your partial water changes every 7-10 days or 2 weeks with a gravel vac to pickup uneatten food and waste. I change approx. 25% of water in all my tanks. Checking your filter media and rinsing in bucket of tank water to get the gunk off if needed. Don't overfeed and feed them a variety of foods. The best of luck!

http://fish.mongabay.com/diseases.htm

:;ufo

14. BrocksFish Initiate Member

I have a Bowin B916, the big external filter. Would that change the water change time amount?

Regards,
    Brock.