Our pond Help

Discussion in 'Pond Fish' started by ColumbianShark3, Mar 20, 2010.

1. ColumbianShark3

ColumbianShark3 Valued Member Member

We own a 200-Gal pond with waterfall, and ick killed all of are fish in the fall, we let it go all winter could we still be at risk of giving ick to new fish even after cleaning it, or should the freezing cold water and us cleaning it have killed off the ick

BTW we did a 100% water change just seeing if it could survive on the walls of the pond or somthing

Did back to back post again thanks for edit mods im gonna try and get better at this

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  2. Stang Man

Stang Man Well Known Member Member

Go for it but what type filters do you have for your pond?

3. gremlin

gremlin Well Known Member Member

I would suggest a thorough cleaning of all the surfaces of the pond. Also, do you have a uv light as part of your filter? The uv light can destroy ich that is floating in the water. You could also dose the pond with Ich Attack before you add anymore fish, just to make sure.

4. OP
    OP
    ColumbianShark3

No real filter just a high power pump that over flows another pond which then cascades down a waterfall the pump does have a spunge like square pad, I also cleaned the walls well with a scrub brush

5. Betta Whisperer

Betta Whisperer Well Known Member Member

I would guess that the fact that you don't have a filter is you main problem. You need a filter to keep the water very clean. Dirty water is usually the cause of things like ich. All you're doing right now is circulating dirty water around and around. You can get ich meds for ponds.

6. gremlin

gremlin Well Known Member Member

Well, the sponge-like square pad is a mechanical filter which would also provide a place for the good bacteria to grow which would be a biological filter. I would suggest saving up for a filter with a uv light as part of the filter. It will help to prevent the green pea soup algae that can happen and it also helps to kill parasites such as Ich and anchor worm.

Since you cleaned the pond walls and all, it should be fine to put goldies in. I would still invest in some Ich Attack - just to have it on hand in case. If you use it at the first sign of Ich, you can usually get rid of it pretty quickly. Ich Attack is nice for ponds since you don't need to worry about raising the temperature (which can be very difficult in ponds).

7. OP
    OP
    ColumbianShark3

Alright thanks all

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice