Our Platys

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Our platy tank has 2 blue mickey mouse (Ariel & Minnie), a sunset fire mickey mouse (Belle) and a pregnant gold twinbar (Daisy) who's given us 26 fry that we've found so far:

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Very pretty and healthy looking fish!

smillermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have never seen blue mickey mouse platys. Very nice!!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
smillermom said:
I have never seen blue mickey mouse platys. Very nice!!
I love the blues.. they're a little more timid than the other 2, but i think that's because they're smaller.

Gunnie said:
Very pretty and healthy looking fish!
LOL.. they are stomachs with fins, but we love the little girls.. they're funny.. anytime ANYONE goes near the tank, they swarm to them.. not exactly picky in who they get food from.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Lovely fish, have you had Platys long? I just got my first the other day, and was told by the LFS that they were Sunset Fire, but they look different than yours. Mine have black fins and tails and snout, their bodies are orange around the edges with yellow main color, and black speckles! Any idea? I would post a picture, but don't have a camera.
I agree the blue mikey mouse are very cool.

Fish in the Frozen North. 8)

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
susitna-flower said:
Lovely fish, have you had Platys long? I just got my first the other day, and was told by the LFS that they were Sunset Fire, but they look different than yours. Mine have black fins and tails and snout, their bodies are orange around the edges with yellow main color, and black speckles! Any idea? I would post a picture, but don't have a camera.

Thanks. We got the Platys in early January to be tankmates to our 1st Betta, Super Mario. He got along with them, but we decided to put him in his own tank because he'd be happier. We didn't know Daisy was pregnant until one morning when i saw something swim against the current & that led to an interesting morning trying to save the remaining fry and find a place for them. They're great fish - next to Bettas, my favorite fish.. they're little characters and will gladly suck up to anyone who they think might feed them. Daisy's due for her 3rd batch of babies this week.. hopefully tom. or we'll be gone on a trip before she's done with this batch.

How many do you have? All male, all female or mixed? Because of the black tail fin, it sounds like you have a wag and an variety that i've not run across before. Sounds like a pretty variety too.. probably cross-bred from other varieties, sounds like a Gold Twinbar might be in the mix. There are a HUGE number of Platy types out there as they mate without ANY encouragement at all, in fact it's hard to stop them.

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Great lookin' fish...Great pictures...What is the secret to the clear pictures??

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
chipster55 said:
Great lookin' fish...Great pictures...What is the secret to the clear pictures??
Our old Olympus C-4000 Zoom (4.0 megapixels). It still does the job well & always has been a solid camera. I tend to shoot from a slight angle to avoid the flash flare and color correct in photoshop. And the tank stays pretty clean, especially after adding the cory cats.

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Very pretty pictures! Your fish are cuties. ;D

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
susitna-flower said:

After more research, I think that I stand corrected.. I believe you do indeed have a Sunset Fire Wagtail Platy.. the Sunset Fire can have a range of red/orange/yellow.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks, and the female is getting fatter! I want to get them transferred to my 10 gal., to have a successful birth. I've had fish now for several years, but this is the first time for a livebearer in the tank. I know, that is what lots of folks start with, I'm backward about most things! But it is still exciting.

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

After more research, I think that I stand corrected.. I believe you do indeed have a Sunset Fire Wagtail Platy.. the Sunset Fire can have a range of red/orange/yellow.
I found a picture! It isn't named, but I think you are right. It fits the Red Wagtail, except it has the yellow like one in the picture by aqualand pets plus, several frames down from top, on this link. Colorful tropical fish pictures, Platy, Xiphophorus maculatus Thanks for your help.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
susitna-flower said:
Thanks, and the female is getting fatter! I want to get them transferred to my 10 gal., to have a successful birth. I've had fish now for several years, but this is the first time for a livebearer in the tank. I know, that is what lots of folks start with, I'm backward about most things! But it is still exciting.
Our little Daisy surprised us with her first batch of fry 34 days after we got her and we found a total of 8 fry.. the rest probably got eaten by the filter & other platy since we weren't expecting them. For her 2nd batch, what we did was convert the 10 gallon platy tank from gravel to those flat marbles you find in the craft dept.. you have to keep up on cleaning it, since food & poo slide down to the tank bottom but it gives the fry a lot of ability to hide from the adults until we find them. If you want to avoid the extra tank cleaning work, stick with gravel though. The upside to the flat marbles is no gravel dust to worry about.

We also planted a whole bunch of fake plants real close together in a calm area (the side away from the filter) of the tank for the fry to hide in. For the filter, we cut the netting off of a fish net & wrapped it tight around the intake with a sterilized (or at least cleaned) rubber band. Make sure the netting doesn't have any gaps/bunches the tiny fry could swim into & get sucked into the filter. The best way to do it, is to turn the filter off and take the intake tube off & out of the tank. That makes it easier to put the netting on right.

You'll know your platy is getting closer when you can see the little black dots in her stomach. She'll square off back around her analfin when it's getting to be near time.

We had a little 1.5 gal portable tank with a submersible heater, air stone and a sponge filter for the fry but they've become numerous enough for us to get a 10-gal tank ready just for them when batch #3 comes along around the 29th of this month. We did the same thing with the netting & the filter in the baby tank that we did in the adult tank. We left the bottom of the fry tank bare and just have a couple little grass like plants & a little cave in their tank.

For the fry, you'll need fry food if you can get it at the store. If not, what we do is put flakes in a sandwich bag and using a rolling pin to crush them into powder. Then we feed them a pinch in the morning & evening.

She'll drop fry every few weeks or so (25 days is avg) after the 1st batch.

Hope this helps & ask us any questions you have.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Very helpful! I better get ready.......

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
susitna-flower said:
Very helpful! I better get ready.......

Oh, forgot to mention that she'll probably have them at night - at least Daisy likes to, so each morning we do a baby check to see if we see any fry anywhere in the tank. If we find some, then we take out all the decoration and put the other fish in a big bowl while we search for fry. When we had gravel, we just would carefully go through the gravel from one side to the other a few times, moving it around to see if any fry would dart out. Now that we have marbles, we take the marbles out a handful at a time into a bucket making sure we haven't grabbed any by accident - they're so fast we've not accidentally grabbed any. We actually take out all the marbles and then we'll still find fry hiding in the debris on the bottom.. They are SO good at hiding. As long as we've got everything out, we'll clean up any debris (like old food or poop) after being sure no fry are still in the tank, then we put everything back in the opposite order we took everything out.

The fun part is that after the day we first find fry, we just automatically do that for the next 3-4 days as Platy can drop fry over a period like that.

I know I typed a lot & it seems like a ton of work.. but i wanted to cover all the details we've learned thru trial & error I could so you'll get all the fry saved that you can.. and it is a bit of work, but they're super adorable swimming around & doing platy stuff. Sadly, they don't all make it.. we've lost 7 of 26 found platys to sicknesses and 6 to me doing stupid mistakes. as far as disease goes. mostly swim bladder problems gets them so every so often i'll take a half of a cooked pea and try to crush it in the water so that it gets all powdery (try it in a bowl of water & you'll see what i mean) to help them out. As they get older, they'll like to nibble on the larger pieces that fall. Just clean up the peas & food at the bottom as often as you can, especially the pea.

You'll love watching them and should end up with a bunch of platy to find homes for.

Goldfishcare

Valued Member
Reaction score
What type of airstoe are you using. Because in the picture it looks like you airstone is in some kid of shap because the stream of bubbles are very wide.

Yazan,

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Goldfishcare said:
What type of airstoe are you using. Because in the picture it looks like you airstone is in some kid of shap because the stream of bubbles are very wide.
Yazan,
It's about 4" long & looks like this one at the DFS site:

kalika

Valued Member
Reaction score
Wow! Your platy's are so beautiful! I have a soft spot for them myself. Lots of personality tucked into a hardy yet bottomless pit. Very colorful too. I have never seen blue ones be so pretty. Here in MN all I have seen are ones that are blueish but kind of drab. Almost a grey color. If I see any like yours I will buy them right away!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kalika said:
Wow! Your platy's are so beautiful! I have a soft spot for them myself. Lots of personality tucked into a hardy yet bottomless pit. Very colorful too. I have never seen blue ones be so pretty. Here in MN all I have seen are ones that are blueish but kind of drab. Almost a grey color. If I see any like yours I will buy them right away!
Thanks, we love the little girls. Our blues were more grey-ish when we first got them, but we feed them color pellets for their evening meal each day and it's helped bring out their color. You're right about the bottomless pit.. we call them our "stomachs with fins" - they have NEVER seen food they won't eat - except for minced carrot.. lol.. go figure that one.

Goldfishcare

Valued Member
Reaction score
HI ARE YOUR PLANTS REAL OR PLASTIC. IF YOU DO WANT TO LIST HOW YOU SET UP YOUR TANK I WILL BE PLEASED TO KNOW.

YAZAN,

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Goldfishcare said:
HI ARE YOUR PLANTS REAL OR PLASTIC. IF YOU DO WANT TO LIST HOW YOU SET UP YOUR TANK I WILL BE PLEASED TO KNOW.
YAZAN,
They're plastic plants.. I had a dozen of them packed in that area so it was a good hiding place for the fry. We set up 2 10 gallon tanks for having fry - in this thread (Reply #13 & Reply #15 pretty much tell how we set them up.) If you have any other questions about our platy tanks, please let us know. Are you wanting to have platy fry?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom