40 Gallon Tank Our new tank journey

justinleeldn

As per the suggestion made by HarrisonAquatics I have decided to start a new thread to document the new Saltwater tank currently in the process of being set up.

Well, yesterday i decided to remove the mesh with the Scallop inside(we're doing a fishless cycle) only to find the Scallop has completely rotted and is no longer there. Didn't expect it to be that quick.

Current levels

Ammonia: 2
Nitrite: 0.5
See attached pic

Should I be adding more bacteria in the form of Seed, or should I just leave it and allow nature to take its course?

I have also noticed that the tank now has quite a lot of detritus worm floating around, but I also imagine that it is not a good idea to do a water change just yet. Should i leave the water change until the tank is cycled? Will the detritus worm go on their own seeing as there isn't a food source currently in the tank?

*I am going to have LOADS of questions.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210531_194157.jpg
    20210531_194157.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 10

Mrfister1116

As per the suggestion made by HarrisonAquatics I have decided to start a new thread to document the new Saltwater tank currently in the process of being set up.

Well, yesterday i decided to remove the mesh with the Scallop inside(we're doing a fishless cycle) only to find the Scallop has completely rotted and is no longer there. Didn't expect it to be that quick.

Current levels

Ammonia: 2
Nitrite: 0.5
See attached pic

Should I be adding more bacteria in the form of Seed, or should I just leave it and allow nature to take its course?

I have also noticed that the tank now has quite a lot of detritus worm floating around, but I also imagine that it is not a good idea to do a water change just yet. Should i leave the water change until the tank is cycled? Will the detritus worm go on their own seeing as there isn't a food source currently in the tank?

*I am going to have LOADS of questions.

Thanks
Do a water change ... or don’t... seed or don’t ... it kinda comes down to how long you want to cycle for.
You don’t want to let anything spike, but over changing the water slows the cycle process ... seeding is a mixed bag, sometimes it works great other times seems like you get a bad batch... it won’t hurt anything but your wallet

patience is the hardest virtue to acquire

Upvote 0

justinleeldn

Do a water change ... or don’t... seed or don’t ... it kinda comes down to how long you want to cycle for.
You don’t want to let anything spike, but over changing the water slows the cycle process ... seeding is a mixed bag, sometimes it works great other times seems like you get a bad batch... it won’t hurt anything but your wallet

patience is the hardest virtue to acquire
Yeah i hear you regarding patience. I'm going to test Ammonia and Nitrite again today and see what the levels are.

Upvote 0

justinleeldn

Just completed another test.

Ammonia looks to be 2.5-3
Nitrite: 1

I have heard that too high Nitrite can stall the cycle. Should i be concerned, or just be patient at let it do its thing?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
40 Gallon Tank Cycling a new tank
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
  • Question
40 Gallon Tank Newly cycled tank
Replies
Views
Jesterrace