Our new rescue won’t eat! Need help with FIN ROT

fishbreeeder

Hi,

Yesterday I was at PetSmart and I just couldn't leave her. Pumpkin Pie was hiding behind a decoration covered in fin rot and ick. They let me have her for free. Moved her into my new cycled 8g tank. She is alive overnight. The ick seems to have disappeared with the temp 79-80. Should I treat her with a media fix for fin rot? It's so fuzzy and white. She does only hang out at the bottom and wont eat when I drop food right in front of her! My little girl is so brave. I hope she's gonna make it! She is so skinny! Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

FishBoy101

fishbreeeder said:
Hi,

Yesterday I was at PetSmart and I just couldn't leave her. Pumpkin Pie was hiding behind a decoration covered in fin rot and ick. They let me have her for free. Moved her into my new cycled 8g tank. She is alive overnight. The ick seems to have disappeared with the temp 79-80. Should I treat her with a media fix for fin rot? It's so fuzzy and white. She does only hang out at the bottom and wont eat when I drop food right in front of her! My little girl is so brave. I hope she's gonna make it! She is so skinny! Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks
I give her a salt bath, dropping food might work, but if it doesn't, it will just raise the ammonia levels in the tank. Images? I wish you the best of luck.

fishbreeeder

FishBoy101 said:
I give her a salt bath, dropping food might work, but if it doesn't, it will just raise the ammonia levels in the tank. Images? I wish you the best of luck.
Thank you. So far I don't yet have aquarium salt, so can I use media fix? Or maybe she is blind?

FishBoy101

fishbreeeder said:
Thank you. So far I don't yet have aquarium salt, so can I use medafix?
I would do it, but be very careful. Do many water changes(every other day(20-30 percent)), and order aquarium salt ASAP.

fishbreeeder

FishBoy101 said:
I would do it, but be very careful. Do many water changes(every other day(20-30 percent)), and order aquarium salt ASAP.
Ok. How can I get her to eat? I've tried 4 different foods! Maybe she is blind?

redmare

just get salt. cheap, easy, and platies can take a lot of salt and even enjoy it. you can use table salt, too- just do a bit of research on amounts

fishbreeeder

redmare said:
just get salt. cheap, easy, and platies can take a lot of salt and even enjoy it. you can use table salt, too- just do a bit of research on amounts
Thank you!

redmare

post some photos too when you can.

fishbreeeder said:
Thank you!
I'd go straight into 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon. Remember, salt doesn't evaporate out. If you top off water, don't add more salt, and when you change water, only add salt to the amount of new water.

fishbreeeder

redmare said:
I'd go straight into 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon. Remember, salt doesn't evaporate out. If you top off water, don't add more salt, and when you change water, only add salt to the amount of new water.
thank you.

Here are the pics (Sry i understand that they are terrible). anything? The last one is the best pic.

redmare

fishbreeeder said:
Here are the pics (Sry i understand that they are terrible). anything?
I was honestly expecting worse! Looks like you have no live plants so just get salt in there and then carry on making her as comfy as possible. Look into some garlic guard to entice her to eat, but don't put too much food in since it will build up ammonia. I'm guessing this tank is cycled?

also know that salt isn't a fast cure- it takes time. Don't worry if you don't see improvements in a few days.

fishbreeeder

redmare said:
I was honestly expecting worse! Looks like you have no live plants so just get salt in there and then carry on making her as comfy as possible. Look into some garlic guard to entice her to eat, but don't put too much food in since it will build up ammonia. I'm guessing this tank is cycled?
Thank you. I'm not sure I can get salt yet though so I will start with media fix. Will try garlic. The tank has been running for a week.

redmare

fishbreeeder said:
Thank you. I'm not sure I can get salt yet though so I will start with media fix. Will try garlic. The tank has been running for a week.
I don't suggest using that, just go to petsmart and get salt. Running for a week probably means it's not cycled- do you have tests for ammonia/nitrite?

and ordinary table salt works just fine for this, you don't need aquarium salt. Just make sure it's not iodized and doesn't have any additives- you want just NaCl. Doesn't have to come from a fish store to be the right chemical.

fishbreeeder

redmare said:
I don't suggest using that, just go to petsmart and get salt. Running for a week probably means it's not cycled- do you have tests for ammonia/nitrite?
Ok. Yes ammonia and nitrate levels are fine

i will get the salt today or tomorrow

redmare

fishbreeeder said:
Ok. Yes ammonia and nitrate levels are fine
"fine" really isn't helpful, you need to know the numbers and so do we if we want to help you. Monitor ammonia closely every day and make sure it stays BELOW 0.25ppm. Ideally 0ppm.

fishbreeeder said:
i will get the salt today or tomorrow
you could start by checking your pantry! You probably have some in there.

Pfrozen

redmare I live a few hours from you according to the side bar but you can't even buy non-iodized table salt anywhere here unless its the pink stuff. pink "himalayan mountain salt" is actually a terrible fad because it contains up to 70 different contaminates. thats why its pink. its an impure salt product that people shouldnt eat let alone fish. otherwise, all table salt sold here is iodized

redmare

Pfrozen said:
redmare I live a few hours from you according to the side bar but you can't even buy non-iodized table salt anywhere here unless its the pink stuff. pink "himalayan mountain salt" is actually a terrible fad because it contains up to 70 different contaminates. thats why its pink. its an impure salt product that people shouldnt eat let alone fish. otherwise, all table salt sold here is iodized
oh i did not know that! i'll confirm my assumption about iodized salt being a no-go.

fishbreeeder

I dont see amonia but nitrate is 0.5

fish is also kinda swimmin around

Any other ideas of what to do

redmare

fishbreeeder said:
I dont see amonia but nitrate is 0.5

fish is also kinda swimmin around

Any other ideas of what to do
some nitrate is okay. very glad ammonia is at zero! check nitrites as well. keep it warm, get that salt, and send her good vibes. I think that's all there is to do!

fishbreeeder

redmare said:
some nitrate is okay. very glad ammonia is at zero! check nitrites as well. keep it warm, get that salt, and send her good vibes. I think that's all there is to do!
Thank you. I appreciate that you took the time to help. If not for you I probably would have just thrown in some medafix. Because of you and the others, Pumpkin Pie's life may be saved. I will keep yall updated daily on her.

Can I give her salt baths instead?

redmare

fishbreeeder said:
Can I give her salt baths instead?
you can, but it would be more effective just to dose her whole tank and let her stay in it.

fishbreeeder

redmare said:
you can, but it would be more effective just to dose her whole tank and let her stay in it.
Ok!

how long can platys go without food?

Can anyone help?

fishbreeeder

FishBoy101 said:
Help someone, now her color is fading and she is on her side! She can’t die

FishBoy101

fishbreeeder said:
Help someone, now her color is fading and she is on her side! She can’t die

Be careful, don't stress her. Give some salt(if its here). gl

fishbreeeder

redmare said:
FishBoy101 said:
Be careful, don't stress her. Give some salt(if its here). gl
No salt. NOOOO! Do you think she is gonna make it. She is SO skinny and ignored ALL food!

FishBoy101

fishbreeeder said:
No salt. NOOOO! Do you think she is gonna make it. She is SO skinny and ignored ALL food!
What food did you try?

fishbreeeder

FishBoy101 said:
What food did you try?
freeze-dried bloodworms bug bites pellets omega freshwater flakes and API tropical flakes!

Tried ALL the food I have!PLS help!

maaybe I could try to catch an ant for her or something

FishBoy101

fishbreeeder said:
freeze-dried bloodworms bug bites pellets omega freshwater flakes and API tropical flakes!

Tried ALL the food I have!PLS help!

maaybe I could try to catch an ant for her or something
Image? I would do small wc, and then you must have patience. Best of luck to you.

fishbreeeder

FishBoy101 said:
Image? I would do small wc, and then you must have patience. Best of luck to you.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! What does wc mean though

fishbreeeder

like 25persent?

FishBoy101

fishbreeeder

FishBoy101 said:
FishBoy101 said:
water change
I think a 10 present would work?

fishbreeeder

redmare

I'm so sorry to hear that. "Rescuing" fish is not usually a super beneficial plan, although your heart is in the right place.

fishbreeeder

redmare said:
I'm so sorry to hear that. "Rescuing" fish is not usually a super beneficial plan, although your heart is in the right place.
thank you, after I remove her and clean the tank, I will buy aquarium salt and try again. I have an good LFS that will take healthy platys for $2 each so...Soon I will let you know if I found a new fish!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom