Our New Chickens

AquaticQueen

Hello all,
We FINALLY got our chickens!!! We have 8 hens now, all adorable little girls. They are already used to us and will come up to us if someone goes in the coop. We got them last Wednesday.
They are not laying yet, as they are too young, but should start in 4-6 weeks.
My cousin raised them for us so I know that I got them from a reliable source and I can't wait to have my own eggs.
Here's a few pics:

20201007_165455.jpg

20201007_165500.jpg

20201007_094746.jpg

20201007_094744.jpg

20201007_094757.jpg

20201007_094748.jpg

BigManAquatics

The eggs are worth it i guess...i dealt with enough stubborn ol hens in my day!

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Wow. Where I live, without a really stong form of protection, those would be mountain lion or coyote food.

Upvote 0

AquaticQueen

Yum fresh eggs
I know. I can't wait!

Wow. Where I live, without a really stong form of protection, those would be mountain lion or coyote food.
We have coyotes, raccoons, weasels, bobcats, and garter snakes. We don't see any of them around here very often.
They are penned up so they can't wander off and get eaten by something. My run only has chicken wire, but eventually I'd like to upgrade to hardware mesh for extra security.
My cousins free range their chickens. In June, they had 12. Now they are down to 9. I was considering free ranging before but after hearing that they lost 3 chickens in only a few months, I decided to play it safe and keep them penned up.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

We have coyotes, raccoons, weasels, bobcats, and garter snakes. We don't see any of them around here very often.
They are penned up so they can't wander off and get eaten by something. My run only has chicken wire, but eventually I'd like to upgrade to hardware mesh for extra security.
My cousins free range their chickens. In June, they had 12. Now they are down to 9. I was considering free ranging before but after hearing that they lost 3 chickens in only a few months, I decided to play it safe and keep them penned up.
Yeah. I would keep them penned up. Maybe I can convince my mom to get chickens. I would of course get them as chicks tho.

Upvote 0

smee82

I know. I can't wait!

You can let them roam during the day and after a while they should start going in thr coop at night on their own.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• bolivianbaby
  • Bird
Replies
Views
bolivianbaby
  • MD_Plants
  • Bird
Replies
Views
MD_Plants