Our goldfish is floating... STILL!!!!!!?????

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by brandiie81, Dec 18, 2012.

1. brandiie81New MemberMember

So its been 12 days since my dear goldfish started floating. I have had her for almost 2 years and have never had any problems. I'm starting to worry that she will not recover and that by waiting I'm just prolonging her suffering. I have stopped feeding her the goldfish pellets I had been feeding her daily and i tried the peas with no luck. I recently bought a 55 gallon tank because the 30 gallon just seemed too small so it did have to somewhat re-cycle since I added new gravel (my mistake). I don't know if that may have played a part in her getting sick. I just wasn't to know what I should do, I can't imagine having to euthanize her since I love her dearly but I also can't bear the thought of her being in pain.

Attached Files:

2. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Hi brandiie81 welcome to FishLore!!

I'm sorry your gold fish isn't well. :(

Do you know what your readings are now?

Thread has been moved the disease section.
    This should help with responses.

3. brandiie81New MemberMember

Wow! I just did a 30% water change and have never seen the nitrite so high before. Ammonia 0ppm
    Ph 6.6 Nitrite 1.0ppm Nitrate ? I ran out of the testing solution. I am using prime as a conditioner Nitromax to speed up the cycling and aquarium salt. Its a 55 gallon with 2 orandas the sick one being the smallest and the other is about 7 inches long with tail. I vacuum the tank weekly I was doing it daily but cut back recently until I just took my readings. The other fish us doing good, he just got over a case of ich which she did not get. I was feeding my fish a pellet food called Saki-Hikari Fancy Goldfish food by Hikari, I stopped feeding it to the healthy fish yesterday and stopped feeding it to the sick one 12 days ago and she is still floating. I've been feeding frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms, peas and I tried kiwi. I'm new to feeding my goldfish anything but commercial food so I am researching the diet now.

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

welcome to the forum

Looks like a swim bladder problem. I've lost goldfish to it - because of their deformity, they are prone to it. If it were a normal fish you could treat it, but with the fancy goldfish, it's a physical problem, not a bacterial one. I think being too fat only makes things worse, which mine were as well.

5. brandiie81New MemberMember

I was pretty sure it was swim bladder as well but I've heard others say their fish recovered. Its been 12 days. Does anyone know if this problem is painful to the fish? What would be the best way to euthanize her without making me feel like a murderer?

6. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

It'll take a long time for the fish to die. You have time to try to treat it. i did not feel like they were in pain. Whether or not it's in pain, it's quality of life is gone though. I used a pot of ice water. If you get the water real cold first, it's over in seconds - shocks the fish, stopping the heart.