Our First Pleco Babies! Question

1. Brannor

Brannor Valued Member Member

Ok... so our Ben and Holly...after months of not appearing to get along... well... got along. :)

We had seen Ben claim his custom cave months ago... but anytime he went near Holly she would swim away... and recently we noticed him hanging out by his cave all the time - on the outside. About a week ago ago, I commented that Holly was actually near the cave a bit more...then I realised that I hadn't seen Ben out of the cave since I fitted the new filter on Friday... so I took a peek in the cave with a torch and there were 5 or more babies swimming about!

So... other than giving them some nice food to munch on once they come out... anything specific I need to do? We have a prefilter on our cannister filter, and there's tons of plants and places to hide.

We thought it'd be months and months before they'd pair up as we got them when they were only about an inch or two long.

-G

2. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

They eat the same thing as the parents. Fresh veggies and protein foods help them grow faster and be more adaptable to new foods (on the fresh veggies part). They loves squashes (zucchini, pumpkin) and most will eat green beans (unsalted cut greens beans in a can are fine, make sure they are unsalted).
    You are going to need to stay on top of water changes to make sure it isn't getting fouled up.
    If you have any fish that are known to be nippers you likely will lose a few of the batch to them. Expect another clutch to be laid in a month (to six weeks).