Our current tanks

foreverlearning

Reactions
Experience
1 year
Tank 1
Occupants: 6 male guppies (3 green cobra and 3 flamingo), 3 amano shrimp, 3 anubias broadleaf, several java ferns, 1 unknown sword, several corkscrew vallisneria, a Marimo moss ball, and taiwan moss
20160807_Tank 1.jpg

Tank 2
Occupants: Male Betta (Jensen), 1 anubias broadleaf, 2 cryptocoryne wendtii, 3-4 cryptocoryne (unknown variety), a leopard vallisneria, and taiwan moss
20160807_Tank 2.jpg

Tank 3
Occupants: An unknown sword, several baby java ferns, several leopard vallisneria, a couple corkscrew vallisneria, a Marimo moss ball, and java moss. There may be some snails of unknown variety transferred in on the plants (pond or apple possibly)
20160807_Tank 3.jpg

thefishlit

Reactions
Tank 1 looks very good but I think it needs more high plants. It looks very empty at the top.

OP
foreverlearning

foreverlearning

Reactions
Experience
1 year
Well it is not very old, so the sword and vals in there have not had chance to grow .... and we have another sword plus some more vals that are in tank #3 that will be transferred over possibly ......

Ursinos

Reactions
Experience
Just started
thefishlit said:
Tank 1 looks very good but I think it needs more high plants. It looks very empty at the top.
It's a work in progress. I have a few plans for it to add taller plants into it eventually. Like the fake plant that is attached to the big "hide" on the right side of the tank is going to get replaced with a live plant, maybe one of the larger anubias varieties (since I can glue it right to the hide). also been thinking about wisteria or Aponogeton Crispus (Cody from Aquarium co-op recommended them). Unfortunately, it's not something I can afford to do all at once

thefishlit

Reactions
Ursinos said:
It's a work in progress. I have a few plans for it to add taller plants into it eventually. Like the fake plant that is attached to the big "hide" on the right side of the tank is going to get replaced with a live plant, maybe one of the larger anubias varieties (since I can glue it right to the hide). also been thinking about wisteria or Aponogeton Crispus (Cody from Aquarium co-op recommended them). Unfortunately, it's not something I can afford to do all at once
Didn't even notice there were fake plants in there. Eventually the plants will grow bigger and fill your tank. What I did recently to skip the 'waiting' time for them to grow is make a DIY CO2. The plants started growing much faster giving noticeably larger leaves. I'd recommend you give it a try. It's very cheap and will make your plants grow much faster.

OP
foreverlearning

foreverlearning

Reactions
Experience
1 year
Ya the big ornament in there has mostly artificial plants on it, he wants to replace all of those with live plants eventually .... but with limited income, it does take time .... we had been looking to get some of those CO2 tablets and see if those help them grow better.

Ursinos

Reactions
Experience
Just started
thefishlit said:
Didn't even notice there were fake plants in there. Eventually the plants will grow bigger and fill your tank. What I did recently to skip the 'waiting' time for them to grow is make a DIY CO2. The plants started growing much faster giving noticeably larger leaves. I'd recommend you give it a try. It's very cheap and will make your plants grow much faster.
my biggest concern is balancing the co2 with the amount of light I have in the tank. Right now it's just a single t8 15 watt daylight tube (18") lighting it. I'm not sure even if that's enough to be considered low light, let alone medium.

However, the corkscrew val, which I've seen listed as a medium light plant seems to be growing pretty good, so.. *shrugs* Wish I could find more concrete information without finding a way to get access to a PAR meter.

Ursinos

Reactions
Experience
Just started
Here's the new tank that just got set up for cycling (number 4, geesh), don't have the decor or plants, but the bulb in the hood is not suitable for plants (soft white CFL ) and I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to decorate it.

My plan is to set it up as a small shrimp tank get some nice RCS or maybe those little yellow ones I keep seeing at the LFS (yellow is my favorite colour so I love the looks of them lol)

image.jpg

Ursinos

Reactions
Experience
Just started
wow. the future shrimp tank is already doing well. checked parameters this morning.

1.5/.3/9

so, the cycle has started. I actually just added a bit of media from my 20 gallon to the filter, so it might cycle pretty quick Of course, I gotta wait for the end of the month to get the rest of the stuff I need to set it up. decor, plant light, etc. before even getting the shrimp

Ursinos

Reactions
Experience
Just started
image.jpg

the 20 gallon now has several stalks of Wisteria in it to give the aquascape a bit more height.

also been noticing some of these guys (must have hitched a ride on some plants dangnabbit, gotta rinse them better).

image.jpg

Part of me wants to pull them out when I see them...but I have to admit I'm not seeing as much algae on the glass since they showed up...

OP
foreverlearning

foreverlearning

Reactions
Experience
1 year
Ursinos said:
image.jpg

the 20 gallon now has several stalks of Wisteria in it to give the aquascape a bit more height.

also been noticing some of these guys (must have hitched a ride on some plants dangnabbit, gotta rinse them better).

image.jpg

Part of me wants to pull them out when I see them...but I have to admit I'm not seeing as much algae on the glass since they showed up...
We have also noticed some different snails in the bedroom tank ... not just the pond snail

Ursinos

Reactions
Experience
Just started
Holy ! just scored a couple free lights from the local aquarium group, one of which is a coralife 24 inch compact fluorescent fixture. The bulb says its 6500k, 65W..

but that makes a heck of a difference on my tank. the colours in the tank look so much different (nicer than the 10000K), and seems quite a bit brighter. Only problem is I'm gonna have to get a new timer cause my old one was 2 prong, and this fixture is a 3 prong. Until then though, I can manage doing it manually I think.

Will post a pic of it with the new fixture tomorrow. In the meantime, is this lighting going to be enough of a change that I might need to worry about the plants I have in there having too MUCH light? Should I start thinking about co2?

Ursinos

Reactions
Experience
Just started
Here's the updated pic with the new light on the 20gal. pretty noticeable difference in the lighting in my opinion. hopefully it benefits the plants

image.jpg

OP
foreverlearning

foreverlearning

Reactions
Experience
1 year
The bedroom tank inherited the light from the 20gal that was replaced so now hopefully those plants will perk up a bit

Ursinos

Reactions
Experience
Just started
oooo, I think the 1.5gal tank might be cycled! tested this morning with ammonia and nitrites at 0 (haven't checked nitrate yet, I haven't been bothering cause the nitrite was through the roof for a while there, didn't seem like there was a point).

will give it a couple more days to make sure it's stable

Ursinos

Reactions
Experience
Just started

Update to the 20 gal tank. Wisteria has been propagated several times, have added dwarf hair grass, Marsilea harsuta and replanted the corkscrew vals and swords directly into the substrate with some root tabs.

Also have a pothos in the filter box now as well (probably need a light just for it), to help handle the nitrates. The tap water has been coming out at 20ppm the past couple weeks. Is annoying as heck.

Oh, and got a couple fire red honey gouramis In there now too

New Threads