Our Current Fish - What Should We Add or Take Away? 180 Gallon Tank

1. Jeremy Brown Initiate Member

Currently we're using a 180 Gallon Tank, It is 72x24x24 and has a current community. What we would like to know is if we should add or take away. Let me give you what we currently have:

4 Bala Sharks
    3 Clown Loaches
    3 Tiger Barbs - Tried to make this 6 Tigers, but 3 died over the course of 2 days, the 3 established didn't welcome them.
    1 Cuvier Bichir
    2 Tin Foil Barbs (They're doing very well, and eat like frenzied piranhas)
    10 Serpae Tetras (2 Died, we noticed they were attacking each other)
    1 Peco
    4 CAE

Your thoughts and opinions are valued highly. Suggestions welcome graciously!
    [h=3][/h]

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You have a lovely big tank but a lot of potentially very big fish in it.
    Chinese algae eaters get to around 12" & get quite aggressive, they also stop eating algae & can latch onto your other fish stripping them of their slime coat.
    The birchir, another potentially 12" fish could see the serpae or even the barbs as food as it's a predator.
    The tin foils also get to around 12" & are a shoaling fish so really should be kept in groups of 6+, the Balas also & they can get bigger than the tin foils in length.
    The pleco if a common you're looking at it potentially getting to 18" & they have a large bioload.
    If it was my tank I'd rehome the Chinese algae eaters, tin foils & birchir & up the numbers of tiger barbs as they're less nippy in larger groups, & serpae .
    You'd still be at the limit of stocking but it'd be more manageable, have you any pics of the tank? always like seeing pics :)

3. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, big tank but some really big fish in there as well. I would also try and up the tiger barbs to at least six. They and the serpae can get pretty nippy if they're in small groups.

4. Jeremy Brown Initiate Member

Hey Adam, yeah we do have some big fish in there, I'm really considering cutting back a few. As far as the Tiger Barbs, we had purchased an additional 3 to get it up to 6, and they didn't do well, the group of 3 didn't accept them whatsoever.

We may try again, but we're going to wait a week to see if things remain calm in the tank. Right now, everyone is getting along and having fun.

Caradee, I agree, we do have some fish in there that will grow to be fairly big, but I checked our size to fish ratio for our tank and if we stick with what we got and rehouse the CAE and Pleco and go for a smaller pleco we should be good to go. Though we may rehouse a few of them when they hit the middle ground of their growth. (A little profit on your effort never hurts!)

Our Tin Foils and Bala's have been schooling together, I think it's pretty awesome how they do it. The Clowns stick to the bottom so we're not too worried about them, the rest of what you said though, I agree with and we're looking to start heading that way.

As for the tank picture, here you go:

eHHZQFJ.jpg

Thanks for everyone's help, I'm learning more and more as I go. I'm trying to learn it on my own terms versus my wife having to deal with my endless chatter about what does what, and such.

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

That's a really lovely looking tank, beautifully clear, I bet it's quite a talking point when people see it :)

6. Jeremy Brown Initiate Member

Thank you, we put a lot of effort into cleaning it and making sure it stayed that way. It is a huge talking point when people come over. They can't believe how big it is. Heh. We still can't either. We went from a 30 gallon to this tank. It's something else.

We added 4 baby angel fish to our old 30 gallon, they're very happy, though still a bit shy. They'll come up to the window when I make fish lips at them though. I think they find me silly.

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Haha good to know I'm not the only one that makes faces at the fish & talks to them ;)