Our CBB Copper Banded Butterfly

Morgan111

Well Known
Member
Messages
622
Reaction score
1
Location
Carlisle, Ohio
Experience
More than 10 years
help getting our Copper Banded Butterfly to eat... picture included

Ok so here is the deal our CBB is not wanting to eat anything other than COCO worms and FEATHER dusters lol and he realllly likes them we found out lol... he has been w us for three weeks now so obviously he is eating something ( I see him picking on our live rock sometimes) but I've bought every type of food suggested for him and the only thing he has shown any interest in are frozen blood worms so I bought a live rock riddled with small featherdusters for like 3.00 the other day and he ate them all in three days


Any Ideas??? :
 

Attachments

ATP

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,046
Reaction score
8
Location
Redmond, WA
Experience
More than 10 years
Morgan111 said:
Ok so here is the deal our CBB is not wanting to eat anything other than COCO worms and FEATHER dusters lol and he realllly likes them we found out lol... he has been w us for three weeks now so obviously he is eating something ( I see him picking on our live rock sometimes) but I've bought every type of food suggested for him and the only thing he has shown any interest in are frozen blood worms so I bought a live rock riddled with small featherdusters for like 3.00 the other day and he ate them all in three days


Any Ideas??? :
What you could try is:
Buy some clams are remove them from their shells. (Don't throw away shells) Get some brine, mysis, worms, etc. and mix them with the clam. Than I would mush it up until it turns like a paste thing. Than put the pace in the clam shells that you saved from before and freeze them. After they're forzen, take a shell and put it at the bottom of the tank and see if the CB eats it. If it does, good and slowly adjust it to leser clams and more mysis, brine, worms etc. -what ever you want to feed it until he starts to knows what it is. So in the future, maybe lets say you put mysis shrimp, he'll know the smell and probably eats it

Just and Idea.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
Morgan111

Morgan111

Well Known
Member
Messages
622
Reaction score
1
Location
Carlisle, Ohio
Experience
More than 10 years
ATP said:
What you could try is:
Buy some clams are remove them from their shells. (Don't throw away shells) Get some brine, mysis, worms, etc. and mix them with the clam. Than I would mush it up until it turns like a paste thing. Than put the pace in the clam shells that you saved from before and freeze them. After they're forzen, take a shell and put it at the bottom of the tank and see if the CB eats it. If it does, good and slowly adjust it to leser clams and more mysis, brine, worms etc. -what ever you want to feed it until he starts to knows what it is. So in the future, maybe lets say you put mysis shrimp, he'll know the smell and probably eats it

Just and Idea.
I've never made the mixture for him but I have tried all the different types of food at one point or another even the clams but I will give this a shot as well. I even have frozen butterfly specific food that EVERYONE in the tank but the butterfly eats lol.... What about fresh clams from the supermarket? are these ok to feed?

aquarist48 said:
Beautiful fish Morgan! Wow!
Ken

Thank you I fell for this fish in the store and watched him for two weeks before buying him.
 

ATP

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,046
Reaction score
8
Location
Redmond, WA
Experience
More than 10 years
Morgan111 said:
I've never made the mixture for him but I have tried all the different types of food at one point or another even the clams but I will give this a shot as well. I even have frozen butterfly specific food that EVERYONE in the tank but the butterfly eats lol.... What about fresh clams from the supermarket? are these ok to feed?




Thank you I fell for this fish in the store and watched him for two weeks before buying him.
yes. I mean the fresh clams. Take them out of the shells and mix them with other fish food (I would also add norI for vefetables) until it becomes paste like and put it in the clam shells. Than freeze the paste inside the shell and after freezeing, just place one of the shells on the sbustrate and see if you CB observes and maybe eats it.

I got this idea from another forum I was browsing and this is similar to his way that he trains moorish idols to eat.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
Morgan111

Morgan111

Well Known
Member
Messages
622
Reaction score
1
Location
Carlisle, Ohio
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll definitely give it a shot.... he won't eats n still gets fed better than anything in the tank lol... he doesn't look too thin n I think he is getting something off of the live rock but I'd like to see it.

Ill give that a try n report back... what is Nori???
 

David C

Well Known
Member
Messages
893
Reaction score
10
Location
Kansas
Experience
3 years
NorI is a type of seaweed I believe.

This is a really good idea ATP, glad it's been mentioned here now.

Dave
 

locoyo386

Well Known
Member
Messages
877
Reaction score
2
Location
Fresno, CA
Experience
More than 10 years
Morgan111 said:
Your welcome, also note that the CBB is hard to keep, They do not take well to any aggression from tankmates. I learned this the hard way.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
Morgan111

Morgan111

Well Known
Member
Messages
622
Reaction score
1
Location
Carlisle, Ohio
Experience
More than 10 years
locoyo386 said:
Your welcome, also note that the CBB is hard to keep, They do not take well to any aggression from tankmates. I learned this the hard way.
My tank is VERY calm and more fire fish, blennys, and gobys my most aggressive fish is my maroon clown that leaves everyone alone as lond as you don't mess w his anemoe lol he loves that thing

Stang Man said:
Have you tried live foods such as live brine? They really like that.

I can't get live brine anymore my LFS that I usually got it from can't get it for a resonable price anymore.
 

Stang Man

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,053
Reaction score
25
Location
Cedar Creek Texas
Experience
More than 10 years
can you get the eggs if you can there's DIY online to make your own hatchery but salinity is key I believe the best way to hatch brine is a salinity of 1.035 and after they hatch keep them at a temp of 65 degrees. iknow it's a lot to do but once you master it it really is not that hard. Coppers are very finicky eaters and usually like anything in a reef so be careful. I would also try blood worms live if you can get those.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
Morgan111

Morgan111

Well Known
Member
Messages
622
Reaction score
1
Location
Carlisle, Ohio
Experience
More than 10 years
I can get the eggs and I might have to try that thx for the info
 

locoyo386

Well Known
Member
Messages
877
Reaction score
2
Location
Fresno, CA
Experience
More than 10 years
Morgan111 said:
My tank is VERY calm and more fire fish, blennys, and gobys my most aggressive fish is my maroon clown that leaves everyone alone as lond as you don't mess w his anemoe lol he loves that thing
That sounds like it will be fine. How big is your maroon? You do know that they are very defensive and are more aggressive when they have an anemone? Also the bigger they get the more territory they associate with their space (the place where the anemone locates itself at).
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17
OP
Morgan111

Morgan111

Well Known
Member
Messages
622
Reaction score
1
Location
Carlisle, Ohio
Experience
More than 10 years
locoyo386 said:
That sounds like it will be fine. How big is your maroon? You do know that they are very defensive and are more aggressive when they have an anemone? Also the bigger they get the more territory they associate with their space (the place where the anemone locates itself at).

hes not but about 3/4 or a 1.0 in length and hes ok as long as there are no other clowns in there or..... MY ARM FEEDING CORALS lol
 

locoyo386

Well Known
Member
Messages
877
Reaction score
2
Location
Fresno, CA
Experience
More than 10 years
Morgan111 said:
hes not but about 3/4 or a 1.0 in length and hes ok as long as there are no other clowns in there or..... MY ARM FEEDING CORALS lol
He is still small, so there will be no issues yet. When he gets around 2-3 inches you will notice the difference. Mine is in a 10 gallon and he is about 3", he has become very aggressive and more territorial. I will be moving him into one of my 55's, he will melow out for a while. When they get around 6", they are very aggressive and very territorial. When they get that big, they can easily claI'm a radius of about 2 feet as their territory. The true and false perculas are not as bad, but they are also very territorial when they host something (specially an anemone).

Is it eating anything yet?

His is in your 125 gallon tank?

You have a marron and a pair of black and whilte o's?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19
OP
Morgan111

Morgan111

Well Known
Member
Messages
622
Reaction score
1
Location
Carlisle, Ohio
Experience
More than 10 years
hes evidentially still picking off of the live rock I've still not seen him eat but we have had him for three weeks and he still looks good so he is eating something amd maybe eating at night.

yes he is in the 125

I lost one of the blacks last year and the other on Sun. he jumped to his death.... cand happen asnymore I closed off every opening.

well he likes his anemoe but if he gets too aggressive I'll have to get him out of there.
 

locoyo386

Well Known
Member
Messages
877
Reaction score
2
Location
Fresno, CA
Experience
More than 10 years
Morgan111 said:
hes evidentially still picking off of the live rock I've still not seen him eat but we have had him for three weeks and he still looks good so he is eating something amd maybe eating at night.

yes he is in the 125

I lost one of the blacks last year and the other on Sun. he jumped to his death.... cand happen asnymore I closed off every opening.

well he likes his anemoe but if he gets too aggressive I'll have to get him out of there.
Sorry to hear about your loss, hope that copperband does great. If you see no weight loss on the fish, than mostlikely he will be fine.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
209
Guests online
3,374
Total visitors
3,583

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom