Our 150l/40g Axolotl Tank

PridXson

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
We've moved house and are setting up a new tank for out Axolotl (Shamus) and his gold & sucker fish friends. At the moment they're in a much smaller tank.

The tank has now been cycling for around two weeks using some raw prawns to create the Ammonia spike. The ammonia has dropped to 0ppm and the Nitrite has begun its spike.
1f7050d4e19967bc4f2552e67004c204.jpg

fbe60f2177b97310fdf59d29f7c14d3e.jpg

c6433ed4f11c449675fb38bfa747cbab.jpg

We're using an Aqua One Czf-1000 canister filter and a Heilea HC-150A water chiller. We've also done a DIY spray bar.

The chiller was from when Jared had a saltwater tank. We thought we could use it to regulate the water temp for Shamus as it's going to get really hot this summer in Australia.

We've added some drift wood and rocks from the local river after drying them out and washing with white vinegar and hot water.

PridXson

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you

We're wanting to add some live plants to the tank once the cycle has finished and get them nice and settled before we add Shamus to the tank.
So far the research is pointing towards Anubias and Javaen.
Does anyone have any other advice on hardy, low light and temp plants?
They've got to look nice too

They've got to look nice too
And grow on wood/rocks. No soil or sand in this setup.

PridXson

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Anubias, Javafern,
Various mosses such as Java Moss, Christmas Moss, Flame Moss
Floating surface plants like hornwort, duckweed, frog bits
Rotala can be grown on wood and rocks
Dwarf Saggitaria can grow in between rocks
Banana Lillies will find it's way to a spot it likes between the rocks and start growing
Thank you so much!

andychrissytank

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your welcome! I love axolotls and maybe one day I'll set up a tank for one :]
another plant I forgot was Bolbitis and Crypts which are similar to anubias and java fern in that they have a rhizome and can be attached directly to driftwood

PridXson

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Update:

Tank is going really well! We haven’t taken the plunge into plants yet, but Shamus has moved in!
We discovered he’s actually a female So - we’ve made ‘her’ gender fluent
He was really stressed in his other tank due to heat spikes and we suspect someone in his tank took a liking to his gills So naturally he got moved right away (about a week after the tank cycled). His health has improved tremendously with gills slowly growing back, the 16-19 degree Celsius water really helped and medicating the water. We’ve slowly raised the temperature to 20 degrees Celsius due to the chiller running most of the day with the cooler temps. But she/he doesn’t seem to mind it, raising it slowly is obviously the key.

But yeah, everything seems to be fine. Weekly W/Cs, tests (although we still need to get the hardness kit).

As for lighting we went with the Blue Planet LED Track Lighting, the good thing about this is, it’s LED haha - no but, we can add more led lights in we need more light for plants and we can also take them out if we need less. It a nice unit, we just have to make sure the plants get enough of what they need once we start that process.
b348fc1f4daba8945853ca6d8878811a.jpg

It also has night mode where the whites turn off and the blues stay on and we can adjust the intensity

I like where the tank is going so far. I’m really glad Shamus is liking the environment and thriving.

d5ba8980401a61a49d3a0792ce6ad3bd.jpg

e1e216d127cc7d264566c39581513b9c.jpg

df0471d0ca037322e758ffb87f41f889.jpg

8a61a1b230aeb1aed54a84e670c4a94e.jpg

9e635706fd2f97d3967176b0c9fccc00.jpg

jpm995

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like a great tank for her. It's hard to keep almost any fish with axolotl's as even neons or guppies may pick at the feathery gills.

PridXson

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Looks like a great tank for her. It's hard to keep almost any fish with axolotl's as even neons or guppies may pick at the feathery gills.
She’s doing so well.

Last night she was swimming around and around. She would swim up to where the spray bar is and let it push her to the opposite side of the tank and swim back! *rinse and repeat* hahaha

Quiche

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nice, I've wanted an axolotl for two years now, I'm hoping to set up a tank for one as soon as I find a suitable stand!
Love the 'scape! One question though- how are you going to siphon out all the detritus between the rocks? That's the only thing stopping me from considering a river rock substrate.

PridXson

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nice, I've wanted an axolotl for two years now, I'm hoping to set up a tank for one as soon as I find a suitable stand!
Love the 'scape! One question though- how are you going to siphon out all the detritus between the rocks? That's the only thing stopping me from considering a river rock substrate.
I use a turkey blaster and blast it out from between the rocks. Then I catch it with the siphon tube. It’s annoying, but it has to be done

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom