Ouch! My Fish Bit Me!

1. SarahBear1009

SarahBear1009 Valued Member Member

OK I've kept Angelfish once before, and this never happened.
    I was adding some live plants to the tank the other day, when I felt a sharp poke on my arm. I pulled my arm out quick, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out what happened, as I was looking down onto the tank and couldn't see too well.
    Well I continued my work, and over comes one of my angels, colored up and coming right for my hand. I pulled out quick! I guarantee it bit me!

He/she did it again today too when I was dropping the wafers in for my Cory's and one got stuck in my floating Hornwort.

Anyone else experience this? I'm nervous to put my hands in there again? :eek:

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, I have been bitten before.
    Cory have sharp points in their dorsal fin, and I have felt that before.

3. kuhlkid

kuhlkid Valued Member Member

Sounds like you need some nice long aquarium gloves! I snagged a pair on Amazon a while back, love having them handy ;)

4. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I've had my betta bite me, but it doesn't hurt at all.
    Feels like a little pinch.

5. OP
    OP
    SarahBear1009

@kuhlkid I'll have to get some of those! Will definitely help!! :)

6. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

my dojo's will nibble on my arm. And that's not a little peck, it's like a vacuum cleaner going up my arm. I'm used to it by now, but the inside of the elbow sure made me jump. Angles don't have enough bite power to be worried. Not if it was an Oscar or something like that, then I'd be a little worried. :)

7. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

It's amazing how fearless fish are, and how they're not shy about driving 'intruders' out of their territory. Fish do not ascribe value to the old saying, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." :D

I've read about a spa that charges to let goldfish exfoliate your feet- not sure I'd like that.

8. OP
    OP
    SarahBear1009

@californiaL33 ew are you serious??? I dont know if I'd pay to have goldfish nibble my feet

I think it startled me more than it hurt me lol neither one had done that before so it really caught me off guard!!

9. Littlebudda

Littlebudda Well Known Member Member

I had an oscar who I ended up rehoming as he was leaving bruises on my arms every time I cleaned the tank and I don't bruise easily he was a lovely fish but wouldn't allow anything in his tank including me

10. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

It's always will startled you no matter how many times it happens. I do more damage pulling my hand away than the actual bite!

11. kam.exe

kam.exe Valued Member Member

My betta nibbles on my fingers, especially when I try and feed her. It doesn't hurt much, but it's a bit surprising!!

12. Simply Fish

Simply Fish Valued Member Member

Betta: "DIE DIE Die Die diediediediediediediedie." (nibbling fingertips) He thinks he is so ferocious.:emoji_fish:

13. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

My old sajica cichlid drew blood from me once on my finger - I was fixing up his territory and, well... I was in his territory...

14. OP
    OP
    SarahBear1009

Lol I see why they do it. But man I wish they'd just understand I'm only trying to help ;)

15. Celestialgirl

Celestialgirl Well Known Member Member

I was feeding some fish while snorkling in the Bahamas. The guide told me to get my hands out of the water fast but I tried taking pictures. I literally had to drag my finger out of his mouth. I had teeth drag marks down the entire length of my finger!

16. F

Fish-whisper Valued Member Member

People pay good money so Garra Rufa fish can nibble them, there are a few spas around the world.

17. Celestialgirl

My feet are so ticklish that might seriously kill me. Lol

18. OP
    OP
    SarahBear1009

19. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

Our guide was bitten by an eel in Bermuda while we were diving just a few weeks ago. He was putting food in a jar so that when the eel put its head in he could hold it in there for a minute so we could pet it.

20. Prism

Prism Well Known Member Member

I've never got bitten, but if I stick my finger in the water of my bettas tank, he comes over and kisses my finger. Sometimes, but I'm getting newts soon so I'll be prepared.

21. Celestialgirl

Ouch!! I heard they're nasty. That would've been cool to hold it though!

In... Maybe the DR? I had the opportunity to hold a small crocodile or alligator (I don't remember). I was so scared he was going to bite me the guide warned me not to choke him. Lol