Ottos, Why 6 Too A Tank?

1. BuddyD Member Member

I've read that ottos should be at least 6, i have 5 because one died 24 hours after purchase. Anyway, it seems to me that 6 would be too many because it would result in a lack of food/algae for them all. I have a new 20g long and will be getting another around the first. My current tank is a 30g. I'm thinking 2 ottos per tank would be better when it comes to food/algae supply. What's your experience with ottos?

Also to be moved to a 20g long tank will be the 4 inch Albino Gold Dojo because he/she keeps pulling up my Anacharis plants and java moss. But i like live plants, so i'm not sure what to do there.

2. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Otos are schooling fish which is why you need to keep them in groups of 6+.
    They should not be put in a new tank.

3. Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

My LFS puts raw potato in the tank to feed the Ottos while they are on sale. I assume this is successful as the person running the shop is undoubtedly very knowledgeable.

I have found them unreliable fish so though they are cute I have avoided keeping them again.

My brother emigrated to Singapore and gave me his ten Ottos and although most of them did not live particularly long lives a single one did live for thirteen years. This was from Jan 1988 to April 2001. You may think this unlikely but I have it written down and there is no mistake.

4. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

You have to feed ottos, just like every other fish in your tank. In the ottos case you need to feed them blanched green vegetables and/ or food formulated for vegetarian fish.