ottos sucking on snail's shell

1. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Is this normal? The snail was inside of the cucumber and the ottos were hanging off of his shell sucking away. Should I worry about the snail or did it maybe have some algae on its shell?????

2. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

If they're on the shell, it shouldn't be a problem. They were probably just grazing on bits of algae/cucumber.
    If they're ever on the snail's foot, however, there might be a problem (though the snail would likely respond by shelling up).

3. gremlin Well Known Member Member

As long as there is no visible damage, I wouldn't worry. Otos are small enough to not do too much damage. Maybe they were just hitching a ride. Sometimes snails do grow algae on their shells, so it might have been that too. Make sure that you have enough food in for the otos. I know with chinese algae eaters, if they are not fed enough, they can get aggressive towards other fish. Is the snail larger than the oto's? My cae will eat the small pond snails I have - but they are much smaller than he is.

4. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Its a gold inca snail and he is pretty big. Thats it on my avatar eating cucumber, it was a littler smaller as that was when I first got it. There is no damage to it I just wanted to make sure that is normal. Thanks much

5. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

My small Bn do the same to my mystery snails. I think they just found a bit of some thing good on the shell.
    Carol

6. gremlin Well Known Member Member

Tank cleaning service. Hmmm, I wonder if they do Turtle waxes?