ottos in 10 gal

muelleh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I currently have two ottos in a 10 gal with some tetras (which I will be moving). I'd like to leave the ottos in the 10 gal as there is plenty of algae in it and they have been there for at least a year. Could I add a few more if they are they only in habitants?

It has two filters: Whisper 10-30 and AquaTech 5-15, if that makes any difference...

Thanks!

xwarroir

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, you get an inch of fish for every gallon. So lets say you had five tetras. That's 5 gallons of your tank taken up. I don't know how big Ottos get but lets say they get six inches each. If you have five tetras with two six inch ottos, then your tank is over crowded. Get it? So if all your fish are small, and you have less than ten, then you would probably have more room.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, Josh. Welcome to Fishlore. In general, the inch-per-gallon rule is one that I don't like. There are so many other factors to consider when stocking than the size of the fish. Also, that rule applies only to fish that are small community fish 2 inches or less as adults, and a lot of people use it without knowing that. When stocking, it is much better to consider a variety of factors, such as size of the fish when fully grown, minimum tank size recommended for the species, whether they school or not, whether they are aggressive or not, what part of the tank they tend to stay in, and others.

I think you'll be fine with a school of otos, Muelleh.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ottos are 2 inches each, yet they have a low bio-load... I think as many as 5 (im no good at stocking!) in the 10 gallon as long as you move the tetras.

However, they will eat a LOT of algae, and my main concern is that they might starve... so give them lots of blanched veggies or (I think they will eat them) some spiraluna tabs.

I hope it helps!

muelleh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks! I do put in 1/4th an algae wafer in each night anyway - most doesn't get eaten so I have to siphon it out in the morning, but one is always sitting in the middle of what's left of the disintegrated wafer. I have tried zuchinni and they won't go near it, but the new ones might (when I get them).

Meenu, would a school be 6?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think 6 will be fine. Just my opinion, though. I've considered them for my tank, but don't actually have any.

You can try other veggie foods like cucumber, or even unflavored nori sheets.

muelleh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know that they often don't survive very long (I've experienced this myself, sadly), which is why I do not want to move these two to the 55 gal (when I get it). But I don't want them to be lonely either!

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hmmmmm... nori...

could you harvest algae?

you can do this by putting a jar next to a window and scraping it off and putting itin your tank.

I think 5 would be nice for a 10 gallon, but 6 would definitely be OK, especially as you have 2 filters, but you still need to keep up with your water changes...

muelleh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks! I am thinking about leaving 6 gold tetras in the 10 gal (moving 5 serpae to another tank). Could I still have 6 ottos in there as well?

burnellhman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Muelleh

Your tank is reallly overcrowded right now.If i read correctly you have 11 tetras and 2 ottos in a 10 gallon aquarium.I don't think you could have any tetras in a ten gal other than neons.So you can only have the ottos.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
muelleh said:
I know that they often don't survive very long (I've experienced this myself, sadly), which is why I do not want to move these two to the 55 gal (when I get it). But I don't want them to be lonely either!
It really depends on that oto, muelleh. I have one right now that survived the massive crash of my 55 gallon (which most of my hardier fish DIDN'T survive) and is doing great in my 18gal temporarily. However, I've had some that have died the same day I got them home from the store.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads