Otto's and ich??

Shastam

Reaction score
So this morning while I was observing my betta tank, I noticed that he has ich. Easy enough to treat, but I have ottos in there too, and I'm concerned about what could potentially be harmful to them. Has anyone ever had an ich outbreak with otto's? And if so, how did you treat it? I was thinking I could temporarily move them to my goldfish tank while I treated the betta, but that probably would stress them out really bad, and goldfish would pick on them. And I think they may have it too. Help! I've never had to treat diseases with bottom feeders in the tank before!

oOOOo

Reaction score
Shastam, I have treated ick in a tank with otos. It was actually white spots on an oto that got me to pull the trigger and drop in the malachite green + something else fizzy tab. I think they pulled through - but I have enough hiding spots I'm never really sure how many I have. How did you fare?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just turning up the temp to 84 for two weeks will kill the ich....alot of us dont use meds as not all fish can handle it goodluck!

Shaina

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Shawnie said:
Just turning up the temp to 84 for two weeks will kill the ich....alot of us dont use meds as not all fish can handle it goodluck!
I accidentally had a tank get up to 84 last week (moved the heater during a water change by accident) and my Otos were fine, so I would recommend that method over dumping medications into your tank...that stuff can linger for a really long time and cause problems down the road.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom